Tow vehicle decisions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I hear you loud and clear.  Ours is also the largest vehicle I ever have driven, and parking is a challenge.  We try to look at the bright side: we're getting more walking exercise because we tend to park 'way back in the far reaches of any parking lot.  Where we also find other large vehicles.

Our outside mirrors have a remotely-movable top section and a fixed convex bottom section.  I've learned to aim the bottom sections a bit lower so that I can see the ground; the upper sections let me watch the body and the trailer.

We also suspect that parking spots are shrinking in size. 

Bobbyg said:
I am embarrassed to admit I am failing parking in this big ass truck, or as my wife says BAT.  It is the largest vehicle I have ever driven.  Each attempt to park is a new adventure.  Those lines just won?t stay put.  Does anyone have other tips?

I also have a BAT and it is super tall also. The 5- way cameras are the only thing that saves me when parking.  I use the cameras to put the truck between the lines, to see how close I am to another vehicle parked in the spot in front of me, and when backing out to determine if my turning radius will clear vehicles parked next to me.  There is absolutely no way I could know how to maneuver parking without the cameras.  I've come to think that this is the reason for the cameras--they are not just a toy, but are a necessity for maneuvering because those huge hoods block views of the ground.

A pickup (especially a crew cab) is long enough that many parking areas don't have quite enough space for you to swing wide enough to get the rear wheels nearly to the first parking line before turning into the parking spot, thus the rear wheels don't have room to get straight behind the front ones without some jockeying. So you're not completely alone in this. It's a similar principle to that on a motorhome, except the length you compensate for isn't as long.  It also doesn't help that so many vehicles today have angled lines on the hood, throwing off you judgement of "straight."

Parking gets easier with practice.  I frequently make a 3 point (or 5 point) turn in tighter lots.

Thanks for the reassurance that I am not alone in parking problems.  I will continue to practice.  Next up is hooking up and trying to move the trailer. The hooking up is my new stumbling point.  When we purchased the trailer, the previous owner offered to tow it to where I was going to store it.  He unhooked it, handing me the pieces as they came off.  I should have taken pictures as he did it, but of course I did not.  I have watched several videos and hope it is as easy and straight forward as they make it seem.  Presuming I get it hitched correctly, what should I check before I pull away?  Breaks, lights, turn signals, anything else?  First trip will just be a few miles to our driveway.  Any pointers would be appreciated. 

Take wide turns - especially the right hand turns.  The wheels of the trailer will track in a shorter radius when turning and there are often poles and signs near the edge of the road on the right side at intersections that are easy to hit/scrape. Left turns can also be problematic but it easier to see the left side in the mirrors and sometimes by looking back over your should and/or out the driver's window.

Sometimes you need to take up some of the lane to the left to make the right turn - I straddle the line and take enough of the right lane also so no one comes in on my right and gets pinched as I am making the turn.  Take a look at at these types of situations as you are casually driving without your trainer - it helps increase awareness and starts the muscle memory. Watch tractor trailers maneuver through intersections and traffic. A walkie-talkie and a spotter outside should be considered if in tight situations - there is no honor in trying to be over-confident and then end up with damage!  I have found other drivers to be very understanding and will give room in these tight situations.  Look up some You Tube videos on this topic - I bet there are some.

Bobbyg said:
Presuming I get it hitched correctly, what should I check before I pull away?  Breaks, lights, turn signals, anything else?  First trip will just be a few miles to our driveway.  Any pointers would be appreciated.

When you are logged into the Forum, look at the line of links above the advertizing.  Click on the tab labeled Library and then click "Checklists".  You will find several articles that enumerate procedures for both TT arrival and departure at parking locations.  They pretty much list everything, or you can use them to make your own.  You'll also find many more relevent articles in the Library that are useful for us newbies and looking at them may save you a couple Goggle searches..

Thanks Vice Price.  All good suggestions.  I will let all know how this goes.

Back
Top Bottom