Patriot Act Requirement

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Marsha/CA

Moderator Emeritus
Thought I'd pass along some information.  Tim (husband) and I will be moving out of our house in a couple of weeks and living in our motorhome for at least 6-7 months. 

Yesterday I went to the bank to change our address to the new post office box we have in the little town we are moving to.  The town is so small that they don't have home mail delivery, so everyone gets a post office box.  The bank informed me that they needed a physical address before they could change our address on the newly ordered checks.  I told them there isn't on as we havne't found a house and maybe building one.  They insisted, so I had to use our son's home address and then made the PO box the mailing address.  I questioned why I had to have the physical address and the banks (several) told me it was a requirement as part of the Patriot Act. 

So, if you are fulltiming what do you do?  Do Escapees or someother type of mailing service use a physical address?

BYW, I also switched our motorhome insurance to reflect fulltimers coverage.  Moving right along!

Marsha~

Escapees mailing addresses are a physical address with a PMB (Private Mail Box) number.  We have an address and street just like real houses :)  This is not the same as a P.O. box.

UPS stores use physical addresses also, and they forward mail too.

I am ashamed to admit I am not as familure with the patriot act as I should be so I don't know about this alleged provision.

But I'd ask to see it in writing if I were told that. and then I'd verify online.

I know of many cases where folks say "It's the law, It's the law" but if you ask them to produce the law (I have) they can not.

Why.. Well, in those cases I know the law.  And it's not the law that they are telling me.  I've been known to make noise about this type of treatment, up to and including notifying the state attorney general.

Back
Top Bottom