Inellitec a/c issue - electrical issue

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JMClark

We have a Class A 1999 Fleetwood Discovery.  We have recently had to replace our relay transfer switch as we couldn't get our onshore power to work but the generator worked fine to power everything.  Now both onshore and generator power work after replacing the switch.  Prior to replacing the switch the air conditioning worked fine.  After replacing the switch we are now having issues with our a/c.  We are 30 amp with two roof a/c units.  Electronic Climate Control box will shed until the a/c kicks on.  The fans work fine on any temperature setting.  The air conditioning will come on at any temperature set above 70 degrees.  If we leave the a/c on above 70 degrees it will eventually go to shed after 10 minutes and the a/c is no longer working.  The a/c will not work at all under 70 degrees.  When I say not working it is blowing out air (fan) but not getting cold. Both a/c units (front and rear) are acting the same.  I don't know if replacing the transfer switch could have had some impact on this or if this is just a coincidence that at the time the switch went out so did our a/c.  We did check the a/c wires, etc. to ensure that they didn't come loose while replacing the transfer switch.  Please let me know if you need additional information this is my first time posting in an rv forum.  I appreciate any assistance.  Thank you.   

The transfer switch should have no direct effect, but I suppose it is possible some related wiring got messed up during the replacement. Since this is a 30A RV, you have some extra wiring that enables the rear a/c when using the generator.  However, if neither front nor rear a/c works properly, I suspect that something has gone wrong with the Intelletec Electronic Climate Control.

http://www.discoveryowners.com/ECC.pdf

I'm mystified that you say "Electronic Climate Control box will shed until the a/c kicks on.".. If the Shed light is on, that a/c has no power, so how would it kick on?  Can you explain what you meant a bit further?

I'm not surprised if one of the a/c's sheds if both are on. That's what the ECC is supposed to, i.e.keep total amp load under 30A. Two a/c operating at once will be about 30A total, so any other load, no matter how tiny, will push the total past 30.  Your fridge automatically uses 120v electric, when available, plus the battery charger & 12v converter always draw at least a little power.

Hi Gary,

Thank you for your reply.  Let me know if this answers your question as I am sure I am not explaining it properly.  When the a/c is set to 70 degrees or above the a/c will work for five or ten minutes and then it shuts off and the fan only blows.  Anything below 70 degrees the fan just runs. It's like it wants to work and then something is shutting it off.  Does this help?

Thank you,
Julie 

Sorry, but that doesn't really help. Need lots more details. Is the ECC set to Heat or Hi Cool or Fan or? What lights are on in each case?  Is the actual temperature inside at or near 70, so that it might normally shut off? There are situations in which the compressor shuts off but the fan continues to run. And the ECC has its own temperature sensor (thermostat) in addition to internal "freeze' sensor in the a/c itself.

This sort of problem requires some very disciplined diagnosis, experimenting with different ECC settings and noting the reactions, coupled with specifics about the ambient temperature inside the coach. The ECC is a very sophisticated controller, managing both temperature and power (amps), so details are crucial.

Back
Top Bottom