2018 View - AC/Generator question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Markap12013

I'm planning on getting a 2018 View 24D later this year.  Leaning towards the diesel generator for ease of fueling.  But, a question...will the generator (3200W) run the AC if that is the only thing on or do I need the 3800W lp generator?  We plan to not have a toad so the dog will be in the unit when we're dining out, shopping recreating etc. and will not be on shore power at these times.

A lesser question is for fans, should I get 110v fans or maybe 12v fans - is there current loss inverting from 12 to 110?  Maybe I should consider 5v usb fans?

Thanks,
Mark

Markap12013 said:
Leaning towards the diesel generator for ease of fueling.  But, a question...will the generator (3200W) run the AC if that is the only thing on or do I need the 3800W lp generator?

The diesel genset should run the AC without a problem. Aside from ease of fueling, one of the big advantages of the diesel genset over LP is available runtime. The 2018 View has a usable propane capacity of just 10 gallons (80% of a 13 gallon tank). Guessing at 1/2 gallon per hour that gives you 20 hours of run time until your propane is empty, which also means no propane for cooking, heat or hot water at that point. Since the diesel draws from the 26 gallon fuel tank down to about 1/4 tank, this gives you about 19 gallons (roughly 38 hours) available to run the genset, leaving your propane for other uses.

What Scott says!  I can't think of a single reason to want the LP genset except for the extra 600W. That will make a difference in how much you can run in addition to the a/c.  The entire coach is limited to 3600 watts (30A) , though, so it's really only a 400W difference and not a big deal.

I prefer good quality 12v fans like the Fantastic Vent or Maxxair.  They are efficient in both power consumption and air movement.

Diesel vs. a propane generator? That's an easy choice, diesel all the way. You would quickly burn through your propane supply running a gen set. Gas or propane gen sets are also more of a maintenance hassle than diesel.

Did I mention you really want a diesel gen set?  :D

All I can find is that the AC is a 15,000btu heat pump - any idea of the amperage draw on this thing? Totally understand the W/V=A thing but so far, I only have V (and btu) for the unit and need either W or A...

Thanks,
Mark

Chart I found here http://www.ramsond.com/wattage-chart/ indicates that a 15,000 btu RV ac/heat pump unit will pull 1500w or 12.5a when running. The startup surge could be as much as 3500w or 29a.  The RV comes with this ac/heatpump and generator setup ...I seriously doubt Winnebago would put them together if the generator was not capable of running the heatpump.  If it were me, and I were really concerned about it, I would find a dealer with that combination in stock and see what if it will work. You should be able to watch the amp readout on the energy management panel to see what it is pulling.

I won't address the generator question as we use the stock propane one in our 17 Navion J.  However, a couple hints on cooling your D.  Close the dash vents, keep all your blinds down (we close ours on the sunny side when driving also), if you got the storage above the cab investigate how you can close off the lower part of the cab from your living area.  If you got the bunk you can close the upper curtains, flop the center bed portion over, and close off the lower portion with a heavy curtain.  That way you are cooling only your living/sleeping area.  Not overly insulated rigs so doing your best to keep sun out is best bet.  Using Refletix that you cut and lay in the front cab windows on top of the included shades will help.  Cab area gets very warm in the sun.

Enjoy your new rig.  I hope it is trouble free.  We had a propane regulator issue during eastern Canada trip which had to be replaced...otherwise no issues.  Use a Trik L Start for chassis battery. 

Only thing to remember is to turn off electric water heater. Have had mine shut the gen down when the heater kicks on while ac is running. 16VJ diesel gen

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7199michael
Back
Top Bottom