Adding second battery. Correct type ?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

baja45

We just purchased a new fifth wheel and we asked the dealer to install a second battery. The one thay installed isn?t even close to the type of battery that came with the unit. I don?t even think it?s a deep cycle battery. Am I correct in thinking I should take it back and make them put in the right battery?

When I was an automobile mechanic I had guys come in and tell me their car was running bad and that I should rebuild the carburetor. So I would rebuild it and then they would bring it back and complain that the car was still running bad. Well I was not asked to make the car run better, I was asked to rebuild the carb, which I did. You did not specify exactly what battery to install so I feel it is all on you and not on them. Yep it was dumb of them to do it that way but it was dumber on you for not asking for what you really wanted.

Thanks SellerBird. Ya I guess you?re right. I just assumed that a large dealership like Lazy Days would know better. BTW, you didn?t offend me. Keep trying.

Batteries are an important part of RVing - especially if you plan on boondocking, and no one ever complains about not running out of battery power while boondocking. Yeah, asking a dealer to install a second battery without specifying its parameters, almost guarantees they'll go as cheap as possible.

A second battery is a great idea, but it should have the same amp hour capacity as the first battery (or very close to it.) If your first battery is a standard lead/acid battery, so should be the second one. And it's a good idea to ensure that both batteries are near the same age. None of those are hard and fast rules, but they will help you get the most out of your battery bank.

Kev

Back
Top Bottom