Run generator on fifth wheel while traveling?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

danajdelarosa

Good afternoon,

Still on our newbie learning curve. Just wondering....can you run the generator on the fifth wheel while running down the road? Husband and I wondered that, if we had wanted to start the AC units and have the trailer cooled off by the time we pull into our overnight location, etc. Is that something you can do? Are there any issues with being plugged to to the truck (for lights and brakes) while running the generator?

Thanks in advance!

Can you?  I suppose.  But understanding about the negative air pressure area at the front of a fiver I would be very worried about the generaktor overheating.  Also if its a propane generator you very likely could be out of gas before you parked for the night.  Most people simply park, do the gookups and start the ACs.  Cool down does not take that much time unless your parked in Death Valley in July.

Yeah, a definite "maybe" on that.  Depending on where the genset is mounted, how it receives combustion air, emits exhaust and gets cooling air. Maybe even on how it gets its fuel supply. Generators in trailers are typically not designed with travel in mind.  Since yours is a toyhauler, I'm guessing the genset is inside the garage area, has an external exhaust pipe somewhere, and has a fixed fuel tank of some sort, but beyond that I would be guessing. What's it like running the genset with the garage door closed?  Noisy I'm sure, but does it get hot in there? Stinky at all?  Any caveats about "rear door must be open" or whatever?

Gary RV_Wizard said:
Yeah, a definite "maybe" on that.  Depending on where the genset is mounted, how it receives combustion air, emits exhaust and gets cooling air. Maybe even on how it gets its fuel supply. Generators in trailers are typically not designed with travel in mind.  Since yours is a toyhauler, I'm guessing the genset is inside the garage area, has an external exhaust pipe somewhere, and has a fixed fuel tank of some sort, but beyond that I would be guessing. What's it like running the genset with the garage door closed?  Noisy I'm sure, but does it get hot in there? Stinky at all?  Any caveats about "rear door must be open" or whatever?

On a 5 er toy hauler the gen set is always mounted in the front area with access in the large front cabinett in a tt toy hauler they are mounted in random places but far away from the garage because of explosive gases in the garage area.

All toyhaulers have a gas tank to fuel the genny and the toys no propane genny
The biggest issue is are the vents covered up by the slides being in while traveling.

steveblonde said:
On a 5 er toy hauler the gen set is always mounted in the front area with access in the large front cabinett in a tt toy hauler they are mounted in random places but far away from the garage because of explosive gases in the garage area.

All toyhaulers have a gas tank to fuel the genny and the toys no propane genny
The biggest issue is are the vents covered up by the slides being in while traveling.

Steve is correct on this....fuel generator,...pulls from a tank in the rear. Generator mounted in the front, 5500 ONAN. Not really a necessity to run it,...just wondering if it's even a possibility for when we travel this summer. Like,...maybe to stop an hour out, run the genny to cool down the trailer before we pull in to destination.

Are there any complications on running it...producing power,...while it's plugged into the tow vehicle?

Are there any complications on running it...producing power,...while it's plugged into the tow vehicle?

Shouldn't be, but with any RV, "never say never" is a wise precaution.

The only point of actual interaction is at the trailer batteries. With the genset on, the trailer charger is trying to charge the batteries at the same time the tow vehicle 12v line is doing the same. One will actually dominate at the batteries themselves and its not supposed to be a problem. The same thing happens when parked & on shore power if you haven't disconnected the trailer from the truck.  It should be fine, but I wanted to mention it.

Some of you guys really over think things.

Whenever we are traveling in warm climates, we always fire up the genny and AC a few hours before we arrive so the trailer is cool when we get there.  My generator has over 300 hours on it and I bet at least 100 of those have been while underway.

Cummins says Yes. It has it on the website and in the Onan manual. We run ours when we want to cool the trailer down ahead of time, or when we run out of propane on the road. Never had a problem.

We had an Arctic Fox 325M. Somebody at the dealership told me I should not run any propane going down the road because it was illegal.  Hogwash! Am I supposed to turn off my reefer when travelling?  We frequently fired the generator and started the A/C at the last gas stop before our night's destination. My wife wouldn't have it any other way. Some rigs may be different but there was never a problem in ours. Just make sure the propane tanks are full.

There are many times class A/C MHs run their air while traveling down the road as the vehicle air is not big enough to keep the whole rig cool and the cab well get warm also. So they run the generator and the roof airs.

I know most motorhomes are designed to be able to run their generators while in motion, but I don't have a clue about fifth wheels. My recommendation would be go to the manufacturer's website and use the "contact us" button to get information from them. You will know for sure then.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CarlSpackler
Back
Top Bottom