rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: ReadyBrake cable failure  (Read 1220 times)

Corky

• ---
ReadyBrake cable failure
« on: February 04, 2018, 04:14:20 PM »
Last year I switched from a Demco towbar to a new Ready Brute Elite. This unit works very good, and overall I am happy with my decision to purchase. That being said I am not too happy with the end result of a "mild panic" stop that was needed a couple of days ago. Although there was no damage, no accident and I really didn't feel anything unusual. But once we got into our site, and started to unhook the Jeep I found that the black "Sling Cable" had failed. This is the cable that pulls the Jeep's brake pedal to initiate braking for the toad. Ready Brute -or- NAS supplied this cable with one end already finished with the thimble swagged in place. It is up to the buyer to make final length adjustment and to swag the thimble into the opposite end, and to install a couple of cable clamps to backup the swagging. The end that failed for me was the supplied end. I am waiting to hear back from the company about this hiccup, and in the meantime I am going to build my own cable sans the swags.
Please don't think I'm calling out Ready Brute as that is not my intent, but I feel I should say/show what has happened here so that if anyone has this setup they may want to backup the swags with clamps.
And please don't suggest that I installed the cable wrong - that is just not the case, I am very anal about safety.

Corky
'05 Itasca Meridian 36G
15 Jeep Wrangler Orange toad
'86 Suzuki Samurai Camo dirt toad

grashley

• ---
  • Western KY for now.
Re: ReadyBrake cable failure
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2018, 04:27:20 PM »
Clearly, that is the FACTORY end failure!!  It's scary! 
Let us know how and how quickly Ready Brute responds!
Preacher Gordon, DW Debbie
09 Grand Junction 35 TMS  Progressive HW50C
Andersen Ultimate hitch
2013 F350 Lariat LB SRW Supercab diesel 4X4   TST TMS  Garmin 760
Nimrod Series 70 popup (sold)
It's not a dumb question if you do not know the answer.

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • Life is better on the road!
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2018, 07:03:54 PM »
Definitely not your issue Corky. I have been using one for about 7 years now and haven't seen that issue. The crimp ends on the cable clearly were not crimped enough.  Let us know their response. I was thinking about replacing my cable as it has about 30,000 miles of use on it.   
Marty--
2017 Tiffin Allegro Bus 40SP
Cummins ISL 450 HP/Powerglide chassis
2018 JLU Jeep Sahara
Visit our new travel blog! http://www.mytripjournal.com/rvnchick2018
Support your local Police Officer, Fire Fighter and Military!

Corky

• ---
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2018, 07:32:02 PM »
Definitely not your issue Corky. I have been using one for about 7 years now and haven't seen that issue. The crimp ends on the cable clearly were not crimped enough.  Let us know their response. I was thinking about replacing my cable as it has about 30,000 miles of use on it.

Sarge, I wouldn't think replacement would be necessary if you're not showing any broken strands in the cable. But it may be hard to see if your cable is coated, like mine is. I'm debating on whether or not my new cable will be coated or not. I may go uncoated knowing it will need to be replaced earlier, but I'll have peace of mind having the ability to visually inspect the cable for any broken strands.

Also thanks for recommending this setup to me over a year ago, it's a easy and quality unit.

Corky
'05 Itasca Meridian 36G

Corky

• ---
« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2018, 03:03:26 PM »
I heard back from ReadyBrute/NAS first thing this morning and without question another cable was sent out.

The company is top notch in my opinion, although still skeptical of the way the cable is assembled. If there is room I will back up the swags with clamps, even if it's just for my peace of mind.

Corky
'05 Itasca Meridian 36G

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2018, 05:50:47 PM »
I do not use crimp on "Clamps" for the very simple reason I have not a proper crimper

Hardware stores sell a "Bolt on" Clamp"  Google found an image of one for me.

Here it is if you click

I usually double up
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

Corky

• ---
« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2018, 06:01:50 PM »
I do not use crimp on "Clamps" for the very simple reason I have not a proper crimper

Hardware stores sell a "Bolt on" Clamp"  Google found an image of one for me.

Here it is if you click

I usually double up

Thanks John, those are exactly what I meant when "clamps" are referred to, the crimp type I know as swags. Just a difference in terminology.
For this brake cable I'll use 3 clamps for each end, which should hold real good.

Corky
'05 Itasca Meridian 36G

kdbgoat

• ---
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2018, 05:44:23 AM »
Three clips shouldn't be needed on a cable that size, but you can use three if it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling. Certainly doesn't add much more work. During my years of running around industrial settings, I have seen clips installed with every imaginable way, 90% incorrect. I included a link to give folks what the correct installation is supposed to be.

http://www.fdlake.com/wrclips.html
I know you believe you understand what you think I said,
But I am not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant

2016 Leprechaun 319DS

ELeland

• ---
  • Jupiter, Florida
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2018, 06:39:40 AM »
I've built a lot of structures with cranes with many slings and cables over the years.  An old rigger told me years ago when using cable clamps "a dead end has no nuts", meaning the ubolt side of the clamp goes around the short tail (dead end) of the cable.  That phrase has been stuck in my head every time I have to install them.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2018, 06:42:00 AM by ELeland »
Airstream Land Yacht 365 XC - 3126E Cat
2018 Explorer Sport

Corky

• ---
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2018, 07:16:18 AM »
Three clips shouldn't be needed on a cable that size, but you can use three if it gives you that warm fuzzy feeling. Certainly doesn't add much more work. During my years of running around industrial settings, I have seen clips installed with every imaginable way, 90% incorrect. I included a link to give folks what the correct installation is supposed to be.

http://www.fdlake.com/wrclips.html
Thanks for the link, there is a lot of info there which some of it I was unaware of.
I have always staggered the clamps/clips when making up a cable, but was unaware of how the clamp should be positioned at the dead end.

I've built a lot of structures with cranes with many slings and cables over the years.  An old rigger told me years ago when using cable clamps "a dead end has no nuts", meaning the ubolt side of the clamp goes around the short tail (dead end) of the cable.  That phrase has been stuck in my head every time I have to install them.

Had to laugh when first read the quote - but it works and will now be with me forever - Thanks

Corky
'05 Itasca Meridian 36G

kdbgoat

• ---
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2018, 07:21:41 AM »
I was taught "never saddle a dead horse".
I know you believe you understand what you think I said,
But I am not sure you realize what you heard is not what I meant

2016 Leprechaun 319DS

John From Detroit

• ---
  • ^My New Home^
    • Diabetics Forum
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2018, 07:52:04 AM »
Like Goat I agree 3 clamps is overkill. but like you I also believer in overkill so......
Nothing adds excitement like something that is none of your business
My Home is where I park it.

jagnweiner

• ---
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2018, 09:10:16 AM »
Corky-

I spent some time researching the ReadyBrake, because I think I'm going to get one to replace my Even Brake "box" system when I set up my new car for towing.  In my research, I came across a guy on another forum who had the same problem, multiple times.  The company always sent him out new cables promptly, but he kept having the same problem.  If I recall correctly, the eventual solution was he made up his own cable where the coating was stripped off in the area where the clamp was placed.  That solved the problem, which seemed to be caused by clamping over the coating.

Sarge-  I wish I would have taken a look at your Ready Brake setup when you visited user in 2016.  Unfortunately, it wasn't even on my radar at the time.  I'm pleased to see that you're a satisfied user.  I value your opinion.
-Scott
2000 Itasca Horizon 36LD

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2018, 10:45:44 AM »
Sarge-  I wish I would have taken a look at your Ready Brake setup when you visited user in 2016.  Unfortunately, it wasn't even on my radar at the time.  I'm pleased to see that you're a satisfied user.  I value your opinion.

Thanks Scott. I have recommended the Ready Brute many times through the years. It fits in nicely with my general attitude of "KISS".  I don't think my lanyard was ever clamped over the plastic coating on the cable. My cable is even a bit rusted from years of weathering, but still holding firmly. I will replace it just out of an abundance of caution.
Marty--
2018 JLU Jeep Sahara

Corky

• ---
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2018, 05:25:00 PM »
Corky-

I spent some time researching the ReadyBrake, because I think I'm going to get one to replace my Even Brake "box" system when I set up my new car for towing.  In my research, I came across a guy on another forum who had the same problem, multiple times.  The company always sent him out new cables promptly, but he kept having the same problem.  If I recall correctly, the eventual solution was he made up his own cable where the coating was stripped off in the area where the clamp was placed.  That solved the problem, which seemed to be caused by clamping over the coating.

Scott if you look at the picture you can see that the factory end had the plastic removed where the swags were installed. The real problem with the factory end is that there isn't enough cable behind the swags to install clamps in conjunction with the factory swags. Once I get home I can fix the old cable, I just don't have the tools with me now. And I'll use the new cable to get home on.

Corky
'05 Itasca Meridian 36G

NY_Dutch

• ---
  • Following the warm weather!
« Reply #15 on: February 06, 2018, 06:33:24 PM »
Back when I first installed our ReadyBrute Elite/ReadyBrake tow bar system, I made up a second cable using some left over stainless 1/8" aircraft cable from another project as a "just in case" back up. That was in 2008, and over 50,000 towing miles later I'm still using the original cable. I saturate it with motorcycle chain lube to prevent rust a couple of times a year. My cable does not have the plastic coating, that change came along a few years later.
Dutch
2001 GBM Landau 34' Class A
F53 Chassis, Triton V10, TST TPMS
2011 Toyota RAV4 4WD/Remco pump
ReadyBrute Elite tow bar/Blue Ox base plate

SargeW

• Forum Staff
  • ---
« Reply #16 on: February 06, 2018, 08:16:22 PM »
I have thought about making my own cable, I just haven't searched for stainless cable yet. I would only need a few feet.
Marty--
2018 JLU Jeep Sahara

NY_Dutch

• ---
« Reply #17 on: February 06, 2018, 09:56:51 PM »
I found the SS cable I used at a local True Value hardware store that sold it by the foot. Too long ago to have any idea what I paid per foot though...
Dutch

jagnweiner

• ---
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2018, 06:55:35 AM »
Scott if you look at the picture you can see that the factory end had the plastic removed where the swags were installed. The real problem with the factory end is that there isn't enough cable behind the swags to install clamps in conjunction with the factory swags. Once I get home I can fix the old cable, I just don't have the tools with me now. And I'll use the new cable to get home on.

Corky

Good point.  I wasn't even paying attention to the picture.  At any rate, there has definitely been a history of problems with the factory cable in recent years.  The manufacturer has been more than willing to step up to resolve, with varying degrees of success.  Regardless, everyone seems pretty happy with their ReadyBrake/Brute.

On a related note, question for you owners.  How difficult did you find the install on your toad?
-Scott
2000 Itasca Horizon 36LD

Corky

• ---
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2018, 07:14:22 AM »
When ReadyBrute informed me that a replacement cable was mailed they also sent a zero balance invoice, I guess for tracking purposes. The amount for the new cable was $20.00 plus $10.00 shipping. I just spent $10.00 for 3 clamps and 1 thimble. I am quite sure that one could build a cable for less than the factory.

As far as installing the system I spent more time planing where to route the cables than the installation took.
I'll post pictures of how I handled the cables for my Jeep in a little bit.
Overall the installation was quite easy.

Corky
'05 Itasca Meridian 36G

jagnweiner

• ---
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2018, 07:24:23 AM »
Thanks, Corky!
-Scott
2000 Itasca Horizon 36LD

Corky

• ---
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2018, 08:51:45 AM »
When I switched to the ReadyBrute system I also bought a '15 Jeep Wrangler as my toad, (and daily driver).
Instead of adding tow points, or base plate I added a good steel front bumper. I ordered the bumper with the need tow accessories and a front receiver too. When it came time to install the towbar and cables I decided to put the receiver into service. I figured I would never need to use the front receiver in any type of emergency or any situation that I couldn't take a minute or two to clear it up.
So I routed and installed the brake cable without any problems, but the breakaway cable and clutch was a different thing. I'm not real fond of drilling holes, and I'm not of the physical shape that is conducive to wriggling under any vehicle. That meant the breakaway stuff had to be easily accessible for adjustments (if needed), and for maintenance.
I took apart an old receiver type of bike carrier and scavenged the tube to mount the new cable and breakaway stuff to. Everything is at hand and at a standing position.
Pictures kinda show how things work.

Corky
'05 Itasca Meridian 36G

NY_Dutch

• ---
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2018, 08:56:23 AM »

On a related note, question for you owners.  How difficult did you find the install on your toad?

I installed our ReadyBrute/ReadyBrake cable system originally on a 2002 Toyota RAV4, and 5 years later removed the cable and reinstalled it on a 2011 RAV4. Neither installation was difficult, but it did help in both cases that I was doing the base plate installation at the same time and had to remove a significant amount of front end parts for that. I installed the ReadyStop breakaway system at the same time as well.
Dutch

jagnweiner

• ---
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2018, 10:01:49 AM »
Thanks, all.  I will make sure I do the baseplate at the same time as well.  My only concern is figuring out what I'm going to mount the front "anchor" to.  Every install I've seen has been on a jeep with a metal bumper out front.  My car is a Buick Regal GS with mostly plastic up front.  I think I need to find a way to attach to the baseplate. 
-Scott
2000 Itasca Horizon 36LD

NY_Dutch

• ---
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2018, 06:48:09 PM »
Mounting it in a hole in the plastic will work fine, Scott. Here's a photo of mine when it was mounted through the plastic license plate bracket on our 2002 RAV4.
Dutch

jagnweiner

• ---
« Reply #25 on: February 07, 2018, 08:28:12 PM »
Thanks, Dutch!
-Scott
2000 Itasca Horizon 36LD

Corky

• ---
« Reply #26 on: February 10, 2018, 09:05:48 AM »
I got the new brake cable in the other day and took a few minutes to get it ready to install.

My 1st impression when opening the package was "WOW - that's great that they ready made MY cable to length". This was when the cable was stretch out for viewing. It appeared that all of the swags were crimped into place and the clamps were tight. If the swags were crimped that meant I couldn't adjust the length to fit my application. I pulled out the old cable to compare lengths, and as it turns the new cable is 4" longer - I'm worried! So as my Irish was gearing up, and while I was coiling up cables one of the clamps moved on the new cable. This led to a closer look at the factory end's swag. As it turns out they had packaged the new cable with everything in place but nothing was tightened nor swagged - whew!

15 minutes later the cable was fitted and completed.

I still am nervous about the factory end, and even more so with the new cable, as you can see it is furnished with only a single swag, albeit a heavier duty than the doubles on the old unit. Also there isn't anyway to put a clamp next to the swag due to the cable being cut even with the swag. Once I return home I will make my own cable for the piece of mind.

Overall I still feel that Ready Brute is a top notch company with top notch products.

Corky

The unit with the green zip tie is the old cable.
'05 Itasca Meridian 36G

CharlesinGA

• ---
« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2018, 03:53:44 PM »
Google nicopress sleeve if you want to find out more about wire rope sleeves and crimping.

Be aware that with stainless cable it cannot handle bends very well. Gentle bends are OK but making a 90 degree around a pulley even is hard on them. Stainless is fairly brittle. In aircraft construction carbon steel cables are usually preferred.

Charles
2007 Winnebago View 523H, 2006 Dodge (Daimler-Chrysler aka Mercedes) Sprinter 3500 chassis. Bought Sept 2015 with 18K miles, Prog Ind HW30C, Prog Dynamics PD4645, Chill Grille, Fanstatic Fan Ultrabreeze, PML/Yourcovers.com deep alum trans pan, Roadmaster sway bar

NY_Dutch

• ---
« Reply #28 on: February 17, 2018, 06:24:56 PM »
I still am nervous about the factory end, and even more so with the new cable, as you can see it is furnished with only a single swag, albeit a heavier duty than the doubles on the old unit. Also there isn't anyway to put a clamp next to the swag due to the cable being cut even with the swag. Once I return home I will make my own cable for the piece of mind.

If you carefully cut the "ears" off of the thimble, you could slip a clamp in ahead of the sleeve.
Dutch

Corky

• ---
« Reply #29 on: February 17, 2018, 06:54:01 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion and guidance.
I've sailed most of my life and re-rigged my latest sailboat several years ago. That was another learning experience to say the least.
A friend who has all of the tools and supplies offered to lend his services to help make a new cable, pretty hard to refuse an offer like that.

Thanks again

Corky
'05 Itasca Meridian 36G