Traveling to Reno, Nv.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Goneagain1

In May we will be traveling to Reno, Nv.  We have a 35 ft Itasca Sunova V10 Gasoline driven motorhome. 
We are coming from Kansas City. I wanted to know about either traveling through the mountains over either I-70 or I-80. 
I am a little nervous and wanted to know which is the best way to go and any tips on coming down from high grades.

Both have mountains and passes, but I would recommend I-80 for someone uncomfortable with grades. The grades on I-80 are less steep though they might be longer. I-80 can also get some serious wind on those wide open Wyoming plains. There is no question in my mind that I-70 is a prettier drive but it is out of your way if you drive much of it. Just get on 80 and keep going. The one exception to I-80 is to take I-84 just east of Salt Lake City to US 89 to I-15 to I-80. I t sounds confusing, but it is very well marked and obvious on a map. The grade on 84 is less through the Wasatch Mountains on the east side of SLC. 

Goneagain1 said:
In May we will be traveling to Reno, Nv.  We have a 35 ft Itasca Sunova V10 Gasoline driven motorhome. 
We are coming from Kansas City. I wanted to know about either traveling through the mountains over either I-70 or I-80. 
I am a little nervous and wanted to know which is the best way to go and any tips on coming down from high grades.
80 is safer, but a lot more boring than 70.  70 is a lot more scenic at some places. I-80 is boring the entire way.

The most curves on I-80 will probably be just a few miles east of Reno. But countless 18+ wheeler trucks have no problems with any part of I-80.

-Don-  Reno, NV

I agree about the I-80 grades being less steep than I-70.  They're also less elevation averaging around 7,000 feet elevation versus the Eisenhower Tunnel on I-70 at over 11,000 feet.  It's a long tough climb west out of Denver.  Also, the general rule of interstate highway grades is they limit them to 6 percent.  I-70 is an exception to the general rule with steeper grades because of the terrain going over the Rocky Mountains.  I recommend I-80 in your case.

Actually I like both routes for different reasons.  I-70 is definitely prettier with forests but I like the high desert plains of I-80 through Wyoming.  What some view as boring is interesting to me.  Also there are a lot of historical places to see along the I-80 route which followed the westward expansion so there are forts and such along the way.

ArdraF

What is your reason and time line for the trip.  If it is to just to get to Reno quickly, then I-80.

If this is a leisure trip to enjoy the scenery, then I-70 to the junction with I-15.  North on I-15 to US-50 and follow US-50 to Reno with stops at places like Great Basin NP.

For the steep climbs, turn on tow/haul mode, downshift the transmission so your RPM's are in the 3500-4000RPM range going up hill to keep from over heating the transmission and engine.  Going down hill on I-70 start off in 3rd gear at about 40 mph and let the engine do most of the braking.  When you do press on the brakes, press hard for about 10-15 seconds to drop your speed by 15-20 mph and then get off the brakes.  If you are braking more than once every 45-90 seconds, you are going too fast in to high a gear.  Down shift and go slower.  Don't worry about the traffic behind you. 

Hundreds of thousands of RV take I-70 through CO every year.  No reason why you shouldn't

I80

I've been on both.

On I80 the biggest downhill grade is coming into Salt Lake City.
When you crest that hill - take your foot off the gas and try to be at 45mph or less - then start downshifting.
Speed picks up fast.  But like said, brakes on fairly hard to reduce speed then off - DO NOT ride the brakes all the way downhill.

I80 goes right through Reno and is about 12-15 miles from the CA state line.

Will you be towing a car?

No need to unhook.  Just reduce your speed as you crest so you can keep it low on the downhill.  Most of us follow the signs for trucks, e.g. if it says trucks 45 mph then keep it at 45 or even a bit lower.  Most engines and transmissions have a point where they want to upshift on the downhill.  On our diesel pusher it's at 35, 45, 55 so we try to keep the speed to 44 if the truck speed limit is 45.  It's not that difficult, just a matter of getting used to your vehicle and how it reacts on the terrain.  If the tranny starts "hunting" (changing gears a lot) then take it off cruise control so you can maintain a lower gear.  Also your engine won't work as hard going uphill if you shift downward.

ArdraF

Back
Top Bottom