Re-Model question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Paula Deen

Wanting to re-model my newly bought class C. It's on a 1991 Ford E-350 chassis 29' with fiberglass shell. It is currently it Texas and is going to be moved to Mississippi for new....everything.
Would it hurt the integrity of the RV if I removed all the cabinets, fridge, oven, closets, table, chairs, couch, and bathroom walls before the drive?
Or should I wait until it is moved to MS before I take anything out? Are the bathroom walls load bearing?
The interior is trashed and to be completely re-done. I know its old and not worth it but this is a fun project for me and something I have always wanted to do.
Thanks!

The bathroom walls aren't load bearing, but there's a good chance they're structural, adding to the stiffness of the shell.  Same for some cabinets along the roofline, especially in the corners.

If you're planning a long trip, I'd wait a while before stripping things out.  Or have a plan to stiffen the corners and wall to ceiling joints if needed.

As a builder (stick builder but physics is physics) I can tell you that a long wall wants to bend from a straight to a curve dep-ending on loads (wind, shaking, and so on ... did I mention shaking?). So, those walls that are perpendicular to the exterior walls, particularly the longer side walls, distinctly help prevent that flexing and tweaking.  Leave the walls, and their coverings, in. I don't see a problem with cabinet removal if you're trying to lighten the load down the road.

There are no load bearing walls in an RV, and any interior partitions probably little or no effect on structure either. Interior partitions are added after the walls go up and cabinets are just screwed into place.

Back
Top Bottom