TT to a 5th Wheel

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

morrijs

I'm currently looking to upgrade to a 5th wheel. I've narrowed them down to a Fuzion 4141 and a Cyclone CY4005. Both 2018 models. Does anyone have any opinions on these brands?

Welcome to the Forum!

I can not comment on those brands, but what is your proposed tow vehicle?  Note that a TT only places about 10% of its' total weight on the truck while a FW will place 20% of its' total weight on the truck.  While a 2500 / F250 can pull a nice TT, it is quickly overloaded by many moderate size FW.

Happy Hunting!

Fuzion is made by keystone along with the raptor,voltage etc check

thorindustries.com

the cyclone is made by heartland,

nothing wrong with either brands. I have a Voltage and its been good so far not the best not the worst. I would buy another one if i was in the market but its no $1,000,000 bus you kinda get what you pay for. It took me 2 yrs to find the right floorplan with the right options and im happy with mine.

Both of those rigs are in dually territory  like Grashley eluded to

Welcome to the forum!

As you think about upgrading to a FW, as other said, you also need to update to a 3500 truck, probably a dually.

you cant pull either of those with a single rear wheel without being seriously overloaded the dry pin wieght is more than you can handle sorry at 3500lbs dry your cargo capacity is less than 4000 lbs on a srw add a hitch and a bag of groceries and your maxed out and then some

There are FW you can pull with that truck, but the two you mentioned are NOT in that group.  Here is the issue:  Look at the driver door latch post for a yellow border placard.  It will specify the max weight of all passengers and cargo shall not exceed XXXX pounds.  That is your max payload, regardless of ads to the contrary.

The payload is exactly what it says.  It must include the pin wt of the FW, which will be 15% - 20% of the LOADED weight of the FW, plus 200# for a FW hitch, plus the weight of all passengers, cargo, pets, tools, and anything else carried in the truck.  As Steve said, the pin wt of the camper, plus a hitch will likely exceed your payload, and you are not in the truck yet!

Normally, I say 20% for a FW pin wt.  TH are different because so much weight is well behind the axle, and they often will have a lower % pin wt.  You need at least 15% for comfortable towing  Look at a bit smaller TH  FW  and do your weight calculations using 17% or 18% of GVWR to estimate pin wt.  Hopefully, you will find one you love.

Note, I have a F350 SRW, and my payload is 3543#  My FW has a GVWR of 15,500#, and I am right at my max load.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom