Black Out Blinds Breaking

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vrollins

Has anyone experienced the cords in the RV window blinds and black out overlay breaking and if so, is there a fix to this?  I have 3 windows in which the cords have broken and the blinds no longer stay open on their own.  I have 'rigged' up hooks that hold them up on sunny days but, short of having them completely replaced, was wondering if anyone had a way to restring these so that they work again.  Thanks for your feedback.

A Google search for "day night shade restringing" will turn up lots of information and videos. There are kits available with everything you need to get the job done. I've done many of them...

I have had to re-string a couple easy to do if you foll the instrutions  that Dutch suggested you look up

Finding the proper size cord is the issue... Try Jo-Ann Fabrics or some place like that or you can mail order

Two cords with a spring at the top center "header" of the blinds come down one side then zig zag to the other bacn and forth.. not sure if it's 2 per side or two total been a while since I re-strang one.

The number of strings varies with the width of the blinds. There are also different spring arrangements and string patterns. There are online instructions that cover all of the variables...

It is a very easy job!  I just did one a week ago and I have one more to go.  Here are some helpful web sites.

Written instructions    http://www.discoveryowners.com/daynightcompile.pdf 
One of many You Tube videos    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=398wcJoR8ws
One of several parts suppliers    https://shadedoctorofmaine.com

If you have problems, please ask!

I read here recently that someone used monofiliment fishing line to restring theirs. I don't have a clue as to how well it would work. I have concerns of the mono cutting the surfaces it rides on.

Yes, I saw the monofilament line thing, too.  As the instruction I referenced clearly describes, if the eyelets or grommets are installed correctly (most are not), there is nothing for the monofilament or the regular cord to catch on.  If not installed correctly, then a poorly installed grommet can and will snag either.

Correctly installed, by this definition:  The cord runs almost horizontally through the top, bottom and center passages, and vertically through the pleated shade.  The SMOOTH side of the grommet or eyelet should face the horizontal run.  The cord runs across this surface.  The crimped or open or rough side should face the vertical cord, as this cord simply passes straight through without touching the outer edges of the passage way.

If a cord is frayed, replace the grommet that frayed it or it will happen again.

Thanks to all for your input.  I've ordered strings today and will venture to make the restringing on my own.  Wish me luck!!!

Also...appreciate the YouTube video links...I think I can follow visually more than reading.  Thanks!!!!

Back
Top Bottom