HWH Computer Leveling system alarm.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bill and Debbie

Twice over the past 6 months, its a challenge to get the jack leveling system to go into Travel Mode. A few days ago the system would not switch to travel. Man, that's a dang annoying alarm. Anyways, seemed a back jack failed to fully retract. I had to deploy jacks and then go into store mode before the one jack fully retracted.

Any idea as to why this might be happening? I have dual return springs which seem ok. Thinking I need to really clean the jacks as we spent a week in the desert and they may be dirty. Not sure if that's the problem or not. No apparent leaking of hydraulic fluid.

One of our HWH jacks was slow to retract when we bought this RV. For what it's worth, it's not an unusual problem at all. I had our shop look at it, and after determining that the shaft wasn't bent, they found that running it up and down a few times seemed to resolve the issue... temporarily. However, if I didn't use the RV for a month or so, the problem reoccurred. I emailed HWH and they told me that as long as the jacks retract within 50 minutes (Yes, 50 minutes!) they're operating within specs. :eek:

Needless to say, I wasn't going to wait around for nearly an hour for a slow jack to retract, so I tried some silicon lubricant on the shaft, but it didn't help. I finally decided to replace the valves, reroute the hoses and basically do whatever it took to get the offending jack to retract in a timely manner. Before I started that project, however, a Forum member recommended spraying WD-40 on the shafts, which immediately drew criticism from others who said WD-40 would damage the seals, and its use was not approved by HWH.

I really don't know if HWH approves it or not, but it immediately solved the problem, and all four jacks have worked flawlessly for the last three years. About every two months I just squirt a little on each shaft and they all extend and retract smoothly. Good ol' WD-40.

Kev

Keeping the shafts clean and lubricated most certainly help. I have also read that old , tired and weak springs can cause the jacks to retract slow.

Thanks for the reply. Will crawl under and give them a good cleaning and lube....pretty sure they got dirty in the desert dust at Quartzsite as well as time spent near the ocean. Now if I could find a way to disable the alarm and just rely on the big red light!

Hi Bill-

Quite some time ago, I started a thread on this subject here:
http://www.winnieowners.com/forums/f259/disable-leveling-jack-alarm-324147.html

I just interrupted the 12v supply with a switch (pics in the thread) and that works for me.  You will read where a couple of the (more savvy) guys designed a circuit with a latching relay so that if you disable the alarm, it will reset when you next start the coach (a safeguard against starting out with the jacks down).

Disabling the alarm isn't for everyone, that's for sure but it comes in handy for me at times.

Any of the methods in the thread may be a little much while you are on the road, but I'd rather hang a switch from under the dash until I got home than listen to that audible alarm ............. and accept the really long shot risk that a jack could decide to sag down while enroute.

Best .................. ed s 

Kevin, I believe that the HWA Manual says that you can use WD-40 to clean the shafts and to be sure and wipe them clean. I have the same problem at times and the WD-40 works perfect.

Thanks,
Herbie

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom