Final Questions on New Tow Vehical

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

hoss10

After way too much stalling and research I am going to buy a new truck to replace the Tundra (great truck but we need more room ) I think  I like the F 150 the best.  I am looking at a Screw 4X4 6.5 bed with  the Max Tow package  (3,5 EB, 3.55 rear end)  The tow rating is stupid high but the limiting factor is of course the door weight rating.

The numbers
Our trailer is a Jayfeather 242, dry weight 4750, GVWR 6500 pounds. (At this stage of my life any new trailers will be smaller not bigger)
Truck Door weight rating should be in the 1800 pound range

I know some have not been too happy with the new F 150 towing but Ford it seems up sized the frames and rear ends for 2018. 
Should I go with the LT tires on the order or will the standard P tires be OK

Anyone have any thoughts or experience with the F 150s.  This might be my last truck so I want it to work out.

I don't understand why you think you will have "more room" in a Ford F-150 than in your Tundra ???

JackL

Tundra = Regular Cab Long Box
Ford = Crew Cab 6.5 box
We would like room when we travel with the dogs!

That 3.55 i a great highway gear and same as my 350 dually but im sure you will get more room than a tundra  in the new f150 cabs they are huge inside but if i was doing things over which im not lol and its not my money your spending i would be looking a 350 simply because if you ever want to trade up in the rv department you are capable of towing most things a 250 is just a waste and a 150 isnt going to get you any further than you alraedy are just my thoughts good luck

hoss10 said:
This might be my last truck so I want it to work out.

If you want that statement to be true then get an F250.

There is basically no such thing as too much truck.
The difference in price is not much compared to buying another truck 2-10 years down the road because plans changed.

At this stage in your life - are you retired and 80 or more years old?  So you may not do the RV lifestyle long?
In MOST cases the bigger the RV the more comfortable especially with two people and dogs.

IF there is any chance you could/would spend even a month in a TT at one time then IMO get a bigger TT - Therefore a bigger truck.

It's your life and you can do what you want - but you did want advice, right.  Maybe not what you wanted to hear but I've seen it
many many times things change and then people have to change trucks again.  Getting a little bigger then you think you need will pay
dividends down the road, in my opinion. 

Good luck with what ever you decide.

If you ever want a fifth wheel, go with the 350. If you absolutely, positively can say you will stay with a travel trailer, the 250 will be fine. Any significant fifth wheel will require a 350 for bed weight. I personally find the bigger trucks to have a harsher ride, but that is just part of the game. If it is your daily driver, that can get old. We make sure we lower the rear tire pressure from 80to 60 pounds if we aren?t towing, and that helps. We went from a Tundra with a moderate back seat (not a full crew cab) to a Ram 250 diesel, and it was the best thing we have ever done for trailer towing. The Tundra was a nice truck, but the fuel tank was too small and the mileage too low.

We are looking at a wee bit larger TT than our Winnie Drop. Our Nissan Frontier will be right at it's max if we decide to drop the hammer on a new unit. The trailer we are looking at has a GVWR of 5,600 lbs. So I have been researching trucks and I think I have settled on an F-150 XL with the 3.5'Ecoboost, 4x2 Supercrew with 3:55 rear. Heavy duty payload and tow pkg. curb weight around 4980 lbs and CCC at 2,870 lbs. Max tow at 12,700 lbs. I built and priced online at $37,800. Probably get it a bit cheaper.

Make SURE to get the Heavy Duty Payload package.  This is different than Max Tow.  It is a stiffer suspension with a MUCH higher Payload rating, both on paper and on the door.  LT tires are likely required with the package.

Thanks for the help everyone.

Oldgator73

I don't think the Max Payload is available with a 3.55  rear end.  They come with the 3.75.  which is one of the main reasons I really don't want it.  The door sticker on a XLT Screw 4x4,  3.5 EB is over 1800 pounds. (Looked today). The  Max Payload adds about 800 pounds that.  I think the 3 overdrive gears in the 10 speed will help but I'm still wary of the MPG with that 3.75.

I know bigger is better but this will be a daily driver and it's hard to justify getting a F350 to pull a 6500 GVWR TT less then 10% of the time!  I have had heavy duty trucks. Once owned a HD F350 Crew Cab with a 8 foot box! (Think Train) Yes nothing could hurt it and it could tow anything.  And yes it was not a lot of fun to drive in a town and the MPG!

hoss10 said:
Thanks for the help everyone.

Oldgator73

I don't think the Max Payload is available with a 3.55  rear end.  They come with the 3.75.  which is one of the main reasons I really don't want it.  The door sticker on a XLT Screw 4x4,  3.5 EB is over 1800 pounds. (Looked today). The  Max Payload adds about 800 pounds that.  I think the 3 overdrive gears in the 10 speed will help but I'm still wary of the MPG with that 3.75.

I know bigger is better but this will be a daily driver and it's hard to justify getting a F350 to pull a 6500 GVWR TT less then 10% of the time!  I have had heavy duty trucks. Once owned a HD F350 Crew Cab with a 8 foot box! (Think Train) Yes nothing could hurt it and it could tow anything.  And yes it was not a lot of fun to drive in a town and the MPG!

You might be right about the max payload and the 3:55. I don't need the max payload since the TT we are considering has a GVWR of about 5600 lbs. which when calculated at 12% is about a 672 lb hitch weight. I am looking at this truck as a daily driver for me so a 250/2500 or 350/3500 is out of the question.

hoss10 said:
I don't think the Max Payload is available with a 3.55  rear end.  They come with the 3.75.  which is one of the main reasons I really don't want it. 

I'm assuming you re using the online Ford Build to check out all the various options and pricing for your new 2018.  I did the same thing a year ago when I was planning to purchase a 2017 F150.  What I found last year was that the online Build resource said the HDPP was NOT available with the 3.73 rear axle, but was with the 3.55.  But, when I got with a dealer to spec an order,  their build and order software DID show the HDPP available in the 3.73.  Had to go to 3 dealers before I found one with enough gumption to do more than use the same online stuff I had access to, but at least I found ONE.

I know your situation is the reverse, but it may be worthwhile (if you have not already done so) to find a decent salesperson and check to make sure it is not available.  Another option is to contact Ford Customer Service (and ask for someone in the US) to see what their info says. . .but I'd still trust the dealer's order sheet over cust.service.

I ended up needing a F250 due to the size and weight of trailer I'm gonna drag around, and the online Build info worked perfect for it.  Great riding and handling truck with the Lariat trim (I splurged).  I chose the 4.3 axle to get the excess towing capacity I wanted as a safety margin, and the gas mileage is awful.  But, nothing is free so it's a trade off.  I don't know how much dif in mpg you'd see between the 3.55 and the 3.73, but I think you'd like the beefier set up in the long run as even with the 2018 awesome Ford hauling numbers, your 6500 lbs. GVWR trailer is really at the upper end for a F150 to be an enjoyable tow experience.  Get the LT tires for sure.

Just my penny's worth -- hope you enjoy whatever you decide. 

Linda

Configured correctly the F-150 with the 3.5 Ecoboost will certainly handle some pretty good sized TT's. I am not a big comfort option guy so I do save weight there and I do not need a 4x4. I refuse to pay 60-70 thousand dollars on a pickup truck (on any vehicle for that matter). We are not going to fulltime again. Been there done that. Do not need the huge house on wheels or the tractor to pull it. For those that say you can't have too much truck, I always ask why don't you have Peterbuilts or Freightliners?

Oldgator you sound like my type of guy.  We went from tent camping to the absolute decadence of a 24 foot TT.  A bigger trailer is not in the cards for us. I too have always wondered a out the Freightlinner etc. question.  I think up here in Canada at lest it might be a licensing issue (air brakes).  A couple of local farmers have heavy duty truck cabs to pull their 5th wheels and they say they were much cheaper to buy  and work very well.  They sure look cool.

Gas is expensive up here and using a 1 ton  gas truck as a daily driver is a non starter.  One of the appeals of the Ford EB engines is that if you stay off the boost MPG should be quite good for a pick up, especially were I drive flat rural highways .  When you need the power that 3.5 is a torque monster.  We will see how that works out in the long run.  I know several people that have them and sure are fast!

Oldgator73 said:
For those that say you can't have too much truck, I always ask why don't you have Peterbuilts or Freightliners?

Because they won't fit in most garages attached to most homes.  ;D  Unlike pickup trucks...

Also most (if not all) of those trucks don't do to well with a ball hitch used for most Travel Trailers.

And lastly is the Cost is not the same.

But that's why the Different Strokes for Different Folks saying applies.  One size does not fit all.
IMO it's usually better to have too much truck instead of too little truck as plans often change and most of us don't know the exact future
and everything that could happen, so better to be somewhat prepared.  Good thing we live in a free country and we can do what ever we
want.  I voice my opinion to possibly help others but no one is obligated to take my advice, as it's only my opinion.

I hope the OP will come back and show us what he ended up with.

I mention Peterbuilts and Freightliners with tongue in cheek. I agree that if one is not positive about their future RV needs they should purchase a tow vehicle with more payload/tow capacity than needed for present unit. I believe the OP mentioned his TT was not going to exceed 6500lbs and the truck is going to be a daily driver. I think he also mentioned he was not anticipating a larger RV in the future. But he seems like a cerebral type of guy so I am certain he will look at what is posted on this and others and make an educated decision on what he needs.
I also hope he reports back with his decision. It seems, on many occasions, that folks post a question or situation that garners a robust discussion and we never hear back from the OP.

For those that say you can't have too much truck, I always ask why don't you have Peterbuilts or Freightliner

Cause they?re darn hard to find.....with 4WD!  If available, in a Volvo 730.... we?d have one!  Maybe when we win the lottery...we?ll do a conversion!  ?

Memtb said:
  For those that say you can't have too much truck, I always ask why don't you have Peterbuilts or Freightliner

Cause they?re darn hard to find.....with 4WD!  If available, in a Volvo 730.... we?d have one!  Maybe when we win the lottery...we?ll do a conversion!  ?

http://www.rvclearinghouse.com/listings/browse/toters-and-trucks/17

They aren't that expensive and why do you need four wheel drive?

We tow a 5000 lbs. dry weight TT with a 2010 F-150 4x4 with E-boost engine. When loaded for the road the CAT scales say the TT weighs 6200 lbs. with 750 lbs. of that weight on the WD tongue.

Because of our F-150's features, our Max Cargo is 1411 lbs. of which 750 is used up in tongue weight. To this we add two adults and a large dog with some camp gear and tools. Now we are at our trucks max cargo limit. The total weight of the truck and trailer combo is just under 13,500 lbs.

It bothers some folks to be at their Max cargo limit, as it does increase the vehicle wear and tear. Personally, I do not buy a dozen eggs and only use 10 of them. My truck was designed to haul a certain load and that is what I expect out of it.

I run factory equipment, P tires, and it is serviced by the local Ford dealer. (I am too old to shinny under a truck anymore) :)

In the past four years we have towed over 30,000 miles. I have towed in the Rockies, Ozarks, Smokies, the desert and mid-west farm land. I expect to add another 8000 miles this year. The trailer is 26 ft. from nose to tail and I have no issue with winding through city streets to find a quilt or gun shop. 

The truck was 88,000 mile on it total and I have run through a set of tires, rear shocks and a set of brakes. I am going to add a set of air bags too see if there is any difference in the ride after four years of towing.

I suppose if I had an opportunity, I could buy an F-250 diesel but that is not going to happen for two reasons. 1. My wife thinks the F-150 is already too big and rides too rough. 2. I really do not need it or the extra costs associated with it. 

A person is free to spend their money anyway they want but until I need a bigger truck I will stay with what I have. 

Back
Top Bottom