RUNNING A FRIDGE IN COLD WEATHER

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ro

WILL RUNNING A FRIDGE IN BELOW FREEZING TEMPS WITHOUT ANY HEAT ON  FOR A FEW DAYS  HARM  IT
WE ARE PACKING THE MH FOR  VACATION,LEAVING IN 3,4 DAYS HEADING TO THE KEYS

THANKS

RON

My camper is always plugged in with the refrigerator on.  I've found that the refrigerator does not work as well when the outside temp is below freezing or close to freezing.  Things inside the refrigerator will freeze when the outside temp is below freezing for an extended time.  I have also found that if the outside temp stays just above freezing, the refrigerator will not run enough to keep items in the freezer froze solid.

Won't harm it, but it may not cool the fridge interior well if the temps stay below freezing.  If that happens, block off some of the vents in the sidewall behind the fridge, so that the area stays warmer.

Whether the no cooling problem occurs around 32 or well below that depends on the particular fridge and its installation, so I won't try to be more specific.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
Won't harm it, but it may not cool the fridge interior well if the temps stay below freezing.  If that happens, block off some of the vents in the sidewall behind the fridge, so that the area stays warmer.

Whether the no cooling problem occurs around 32 or well below that depends on the particular fridge and its installation, so I won't try to be more specific.

Or you can put an incandescent light bulb at he bottom of the outside of the fridge.

Thanks for replying. I have done this before,but for some reason it seams to bother me this year.
Temps are low  20s at night,high 30s day time here in central Maryland.

Back
Top Bottom