High Wind Warning in Wyoming

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Memtb

With many of you concerned about high winds....thought that I’d share this photo taken a few days ago. It was on the Wyoming Highway Patrol Officers Association website. Guessing that someone “fat fingered the keyboard”!

Having problems with photo....will try to update!

Here is the picture I couldn’t post in the previous post

Attachments

• D5D65630-5B8D-4721-B3CE-DBB5772869B8.jpeg
    D5D65630-5B8D-4721-B3CE-DBB5772869B8.jpeg
    333.5 KB · Views: 149
While Wyoming is known for high winds, that is pretty extreme. I remember the first time I drove through Wyoming with a trailer. It was an itty bitty tent trailer designed to be pulled by a motorcycle that I pulled with a Subaru. The trailer weighed less than 400 pounds and was only 4? wide by 6? long with a super short tongue. The WYDOT mandated that all vehicles with trailers and all high profile vehicles pull off I-80. Of course there wasn?t room for them in rest stops, so they were pulled off at all the exits, fuel stations, etc. Since my tiny little trailer wasn?t affected by the high winds, we just kept going along at 65 mph. I did ask at one of the rest stops whether my setup was included in the road prohibition, and I was told no. I sure wouldn?t have wanted to be driving anything bigger, even a big SUV. Oh, and a HP officer drove by me without any concern.

As I was west bound on I-80 driving into Laramie last summer I saw that all the east bound traffic was being turned back.  It seems an 18 wheeler tanker truck loaded with something flamable had been blown into the ditch just a few minutes behind me.  The strange thing was I did not think the wind was all that bad, gusting sure, but I have driven in worse both before and since.

In the early seventies a train blew over going west out of Cheyenne. I was sitting under an underpass with a
loaded livestock pot trying to go east into Cheyenne and witnessed it.  RR cars hitting the dirt caused a spectacular dust cloud. Only time I was afraid to go in Wyoming with a loaded trailer.

Memtb, even with that kind of tailwind, you know getting over 10mpg in an RV is like trying to collect a Unicorn tear, right?  ;D

Spring Creek said:
Memtb, even with that kind of tailwind, you know getting over 10mpg in an RV is like trying to collect a Unicorn tear, right?  ;D

I know.....we got real close (guess the planets were proper aligned)  ;) averaged 9.9+ on a trip of approx 4000 miles towing that old Teton shown in signature.  I drove it as ?kindly? as I could, with very little ?deadheading?! Probably never have a repeat.....and was still short of the ?magic 10?!  :mad:

Back
Top Bottom