EPDM Coatings
rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Custom Yacht Interiors

Author Topic: Basic Towing Question  (Read 575 times)

diannenaughton

• ---
  • Old Smokey & Gerber Baby
Basic Towing Question
« on: February 06, 2018, 11:49:37 AM »
Hi all.  This is going to seem like a dumb question, but can I tow while I have maxed out the payload capacity? Or do I need to do one or the other, not both?

I have a truck camper in my F150 bed.  I don't like to unload at a camping site because I'm always afraid something will happen to one of my jacks. This leads to a camp and don't move type of scenario.  I'm thinking of getting a street legal golf cart or smart car to tow. I just don't know if that's going to be safe since I'm already at max payload.

Thanks so much for the advice.

John Beard

• ---
Re: Basic Towing Question
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2018, 04:29:56 PM »
GVWR, Gross Vehicle Weight Rating, along with the GCWR Gross Combined Weight Rating is something you should adhere to.
John & Susan
2018 Dynamax DX3 37TS, 350 HP/1,000 ftlbs torque
2015 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon/2005 TJ
Air Force One Brake System
Northwest Las Vegas, NV

Boonieman

• ---
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2018, 07:05:21 PM »
  Any weight you put on the hitch goes against the vehicle payload, so if you are already at max payload adding any weight to the hitch will exceed it. I donít think a golf cart and small trailer weigh all that much and typically a trailer will put 10-15% on the hitch. So, potentially you could shed 300 or so pounds from your camper ( Iím guessing on the weight of a golf cart) if possible and stay within your payload capacity. Itís best to confirm your actual weights and not guess. As John said you still need to stay within the other weight limit capacities of the tow vehicle.
2016 Chevrolet Dually/Duramax
2011 Fuzion 322
2016 Harley Trike
3 cherished dogs, Moo, Molly, Mia the one eyed pup 😊
Originally from South Dakota, currently reside in Kentucky

Utclmjmpr

• ---
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2018, 12:01:00 AM »
 Tow a small car 4 down and have no weight on the hitch..Braking power would be a guess with out supplemental braking..which can be done. I sometimes tow an air cooled VW because it only weighs 1700#,,don't even know it's there.>>>Dan
38' American Tradition 38TT/330 turbo Cummins
Jeep liberty 4 down
72 VW Baja 4 down
Cedar City, Utah
USAF vet. 59-63
The difference between intelligence & stupidity is: intelligence has it's limits
      Albert Einstein.

Hosted by Over The Network