Basic Towing Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

diannenaughton

Hi all.  This is going to seem like a dumb question, but can I tow while I have maxed out the payload capacity? Or do I need to do one or the other, not both?

I have a truck camper in my F150 bed.  I don't like to unload at a camping site because I'm always afraid something will happen to one of my jacks. This leads to a camp and don't move type of scenario.  I'm thinking of getting a street legal golf cart or smart car to tow. I just don't know if that's going to be safe since I'm already at max payload.

Thanks so much for the advice.

GVWR, Gross Vehicle Weight Rating, along with the GCWR Gross Combined Weight Rating is something you should adhere to.

Any weight you put on the hitch goes against the vehicle payload, so if you are already at max payload adding any weight to the hitch will exceed it. I don?t think a golf cart and small trailer weigh all that much and typically a trailer will put 10-15% on the hitch. So, potentially you could shed 300 or so pounds from your camper ( I?m guessing on the weight of a golf cart) if possible and stay within your payload capacity. It?s best to confirm your actual weights and not guess. As John said you still need to stay within the other weight limit capacities of the tow vehicle.

Tow a small car 4 down and have no weight on the hitch..Braking power would be a guess with out supplemental braking..which can be done. I sometimes tow an air cooled VW because it only weighs 1700#,,don't even know it's there.>>>Dan

Back
Top Bottom