Surge Protector

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SpencerPJ

What kind of surge protector do you use?  I saw a couple posts, and thought, I should have one.  Hate for a campground to send me a bad jolt, smoking something on my TT.  I see some on Amazon, what type of Joules recommendations. I run 30Amps, Suggestions? 

I have a Progressive Industries HW50-C.  That is  HW  Hard Wired    50    50Amp    C  Their code for the remote display. 

Being hard wired, it is permanently installed and can not be forgotten or easily stolen at a camp ground.  The remote status display is in my "control center" just inside the door, so it is very easy to check the status when connecting power at a campground.

It gives a continuously rotating display of voltage on both L1 and L2, current Amp draw on each leg, Frequency, or Hertz, and any error codes.
I am told the unit has a lifetime warranty with no proof of anything except ownership.  I have not had a need to find out.

It is very inexpensive insurance

Though I use a TRC (Camping world sells 'em) the reason is the cost, I paid only postage.

My first choice would be a Progressive INdustries HW-50C (50 amp rv or HW-30c) for a 30 amp

2nd hoice is the PT-50/30c (portable)

Nothing wrong with the TRC but the PI has a better warranty .

Progressive  Industries PT 30X

Portable surge protector.  Seems like it would be easier to plug this into the post to check service BEFORE pulling in and starting set up only to find one needs to move.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01N0W4CZ8/ref=ox_sc_sfl_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=A16TLDXIT2T97H

Even though it is more expensive, I definitely recommend the Progressive Industry unit that does more than just the normal surge protector. Ours has saved us from many different problems at several different campgrounds. And their warranty can?t be beat! They have replaced our unit with no problem when it started giving us errors when there were no problems. Highly recommended.

Vicki

The number of "joules" are just one of the concerns, since surges themselves are a relatively infrequent source of problems (despite all the blame laid on it several years ago).    If you are going to buy one, get a power monitor + surge protector, e.g. the Progressive PT30X or Surge Guard 34830. These check for several types of incorrect power and continuously monitor for high/low voltage as well as surges.

http://www.progressiveindustries.net/
https://rvpower.southwire.com/products/surge-protection/30a-portable-model-34830-with-lcd-display/

I have the Progressive hard wired 30 amp system (30 amp rv). Since most power pedestals these days have separate 20, 30 and 50 amp wiring, if you pull in and hookup to the 30 amp plug and have a problem, you can use your 30-50 adapter and plug into the 50 amp circuit. If that's good you don't have to move to another site. Not sure how that would work if all you had was a portable 30 amp protector.

I have the little whiz bang model that plugs into box and you plug into it. Its best and only feature is it shows proper polarity. It is also rated for a few joules but if you get a lighting strike all bets are off anyway.

Its biggest draw back is you cannot close the electric box.

Thanks everyone.  Great Feedback.  I think I like the Portable one like the Progressive PT30x.  Seems to have great Amazon reviews too.

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
skibumbob
Back
Top Bottom