Lost rear brake lights and rear running lights on my RV

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dennis Therkildsen

I bought a 2014 Winnebago Adventure 38Q to start our RVing fun.  But right after our 2nd short trip the rear lights started acting up.  The dealership try to fix it 3 times but never found a true cause.  I've since moved and took the RV in for the same issue as everything in the rear light system quit working all together.  No brake lights at the rear along with no emergency flashers or running lights.  But all front lights and flashers work as advertised.  The dealership working on this issue now isn't having any luck either.  Needless to say we're very frustrated but still hoping they can find the issue. Has anyone else had a similar problem?

IF your MH has a trailer plug I would want to know if everything there was fine or not.
IF those are fine then the problem is internal - IF those don't work too then you know it's more system wide.

I have found water in a rear light but it didn't take out the rear light system.  If I hadn't found it and it got worse I
might have a problem like your having.

Sounds like a bad ground is very possible too.  They can be hard to find.  Sometimes they can add a new ground wire.

Maybe someone else can help more.

Another possibility could be the "multiswitch" in the steering column. All of your lights normally run through these...turn signals, brakes, flashers, running lights, etc. If nothing else can be found, have someone look at this. Could be bad wiring, corrosion, etc.

I had a very similar problem on my coach.  It's much older than yours, but I lost the taillights, brake lights, and trailer lights.  There was a ground wire that was severed under the rear portion of the rig and once I patched in a new ground, everything came back.

Open up the taillight and go at it with a multimeter.  If you find good ground to touch the multimeter to, do you get +12V at the light socket when the lights are supposed to be on?  If so, you've got a ground problem.  If not, then there's something else going on.  Check to see if there are fuses or relays specific to the rear lights.  On other vehicles, I've had mis-wired trailers and wet trailer connectors cause shorts that blow out fuses.

I was fighting similar problems with my '05 Meridian when installing a new towbar.
Spent most of the day chasing wiring, but ultimately found a fuse block hidden in the rear driver's side compartment just forward of the rear wheels. Tucked in behind panel on the right hand side was the fuse block. There were several fuses that were bad, and once replaced everything work as it should. This particular block was for all of the lighting for the tow package and rear lighting.

Hope you find the culprit.

Corky

Sounds like a problem I had on my Eagle.
The fuse/relay panel had moved and the pin for the rear lights had pulled out from the bottom of the relay (where the relay plugs into the panel).
Had to actually glue the pin back into the panel to keep the relay from pushing it back out the bottom.

Back
Top Bottom