George Akers RIP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alaskansnowbirds

Site Team
Just found out that George died. If you ever met George you know he was one of the greatest. A great guy that could keep you laughing for hours with his stories about the senior roping circuit. Lucy posted this on her facebook page. You will be sorely missed. RIP George.

"George passed away in his sleep this morning. It was very unexpected but God saw fit to take him now and I know he is in a happy place where he can ride and rope again. His friends will be putting on a memorial roping here in a couple of weeks and his son and daughter will handle the service in Wyoming."

Attachments

• George Akers.jpg
    George Akers.jpg
    271.9 KB · Views: 75
He was such a caring, loving, man.  I always saw him as the personification of the Western cowboy.  He took the cowboy integrity seriously and lived it.  I will never forget his truly infectious smile.  It was hard not to be "up" when George was around. 

My favorite memory of "Cowboy George" was when our Yellow Lab, Dusty, opened up a gruesome cut by running into an opened screen door with a sharp edge.  We were camped at their place in Arizona and I brought Dusty to George the next morning asking advice.  He delved into the tack room of his horse trailer, brought out a container of magic goo (probably sulfa), slathered it on Dusty's cut.  She never even had a scar or hair loss after that.

Then there was the tale he told of getting his Foretravel stuck in the mud in front of all his roping buddies in the middle of the night.  Nobody could tell a tragic tale as well as George could and still have everyone laughing so hard they could hardly breathe!  RIP, George, and thanks for the precious memories.!

Tom and Margi said:
Then there was the tale he told of getting his Foretravel stuck in the mud in front of all his roping buddies in the middle of the night.  Nobody could tell a tragic tale as well as George could and still have everyone laughing so hard they could hardly breathe!  RIP, George, and thanks for the precious memories.!

Margi, I can't think of George without remembering that story. I think I heard it the first time at a Quartzsite rally. We laughed for the rest of the rally.

We met George a few years back, and he was a great guy -- helped us get our Jeep fixed, and was a great dinner companion. Never a dull moment, and lots of fun. RIP, George. Condolences to Lucy, a sweet gal -- we've missed her at Qz these last few years.

We also remember George's story of getting stuck in the middle of the night and how hard we laughed.  He was a great guy, and we enjoyed Lucy's friendship too.

A wonderful gentleman. Enjoyed our brief time with George at QZ before he had to leave for the rodeo  circuit. He practiced roping in the desert on his dummy steer head.

Attachments

• roping.jpg
    roping.jpg
    89.1 KB · Views: 52
  • George_leaving.jpg
    George_leaving.jpg
    58.5 KB · Views: 46
What sad news!  George (and Lucy too) have been wonderful friends to many of us.  Thanks for posting that great photo, Don.  Such a great smile and many happy stories!  Years ago we went to Pahrump with the group to attend one of George's roping events.  It was Jerry's birthday and he saw a beautiful magenta cereus cactus in bloom that he had to have for his birthday.  It's still in the front patio outside our window and when we see it in bloom we usually think of George and the great times we had together.  We'll miss him.

ArdraF and JerryF

Apologies for the delay ... I've added George to our Memorial page. I'll make a few minor changes going forward.

Thanks to Don Miller, attached is the pamphlet from George's Memorial. What a wonderful tribute to a wonderful man.

Attachments

• GeorgeAkers flyer.pdf
    607.9 KB · Views: 13
Back
Top Bottom