Egress In The Event Of Fire

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Oldgator73

I was just reading on another RV related forum that some MH owners were concerned about the drop to the ground from the emergency egress window. They installed a pair of clamps to hold the bunk ladder in front of the wardrobe in the bedroom for easier acces to the ladder. They are of the mindset they will have time to get the window out, deploy the ladder and climb out before the fire reaches them. Others posted you would barely have time to get the window open and tumble out as RV fires move very quickly through the unit. Has anyone ever had the unfortunate occasion to have to use the emergency egress window? If so, how was the experience?

Mac The Fire Guy used to show how to get out the emergency exit window as part of his fire demonstrations at RV rallies.

Open the window and use a blanket to cover the lower lip to provide some padding.  Then back out the window while holding onto the lower window frame.

When you're out, drop to full extension while continuing to hold onto the window frame.  At that point your feet will either be touching the ground or at most only a foot or two above it.  Now you can release your grip on the window frame and have just a short drop to the ground.

The Drop to the ground. if done right, for me is less than 1 foot. way less. (like 11" less) .. NOTE I've had to do this several times due to the failure of the door latch.

Front exit, I lay atop the back of the couch and grabbing the edge roll out the window. I have to use my arms to hold myelf from hiutting the ground BEFORE my arms reach max length. No chance of injury.

Bedroom I back out. gripping the edge. IF the edge is sharp lay the bedspread over it.

Then the 2nd person dives into my arms.

NOTE: Seconds count. Get the blazes out of therem, The fire will not kill you, You won't be alive that long. .The FUMES from the burring toxic stuff will kill you long before you burn.

What is not mentioned is a stick to hold the window open.

I cut one and have a smal piece of Velcro on it (placed by the bed) so it's always there.

The Windows are heavy and most don't stay open so there will always be downward pressure making
in not only harder to get out but you could have injuries from the window hitting you or you dragging across it.

Yes I agree the bedspread and or sheets should be put over the window tracks to help you slide out without injury.

I would think a ladder of some type or even a wooden box placed outside the window, you would exit in a fire, would be
better then trying to get something out the window first.  I know what one of my projects will be when I get home.  ;D ;D ;D

As John from Detroit correctly observed, you won?t survive any longer than a few seconds trying to breath the smoke from a fire. Modern synthetic materials (think upholstery, foam padding, even counter tops and flooring) produce unbelievable amounts of thick and very toxic smoke. And it only takes a very short time for this smoke to fill an RV. We made 2 doors an absolute ?must have? when we were looking for our trailer for the obvious reason of a secondary means of egress.  We do have emergency window exits both in the bedroom and living area, but both are well above floor level (where the best air and visibility is to be found) and they are both considerably smaller than a door. Not to mention, a longer drop to the ground once you are out.  I realize a second door is not an option for many people, so those folks would do well to practice their ?abandon ship? drill on a regular basis. Better to find and correct problems before an emergency rears it?s ugly head.

RedandSilver said:
What is not mentioned is a stick to hold the window open.

With "old fashioned" sliding windows a stick isn't necessary.

It seems to me that I could be out the door quicker than i could open the window.

One of the features that helped sell me on my Newmar Ventana is that the rear emergency exit is a door, rather than a window. Granted, it's rather high off the ground, exiting the rear bath, but with a ladder it could be used as an actual door (we won't, though). And at this FMCA INTO rally I saw a 2018 Dutch Star that also has a built in ladder for that exit -- neat stuff for safety.

Just a thought, maybe they should construct them like a Tank, with an escape hatch in the bottom?

No, bad idea!!! I would not fit anymore!

I spent 38 years as a firefighter, trust me, you won't care about the drop to escape a fire. It's also not a bad idea to be sure you know how to operate the escape window, try doing it with the lights off, you may be surprised at the difficulty you encounter. Stay safe all!

docj said:
With "old fashioned" sliding windows a stick isn't necessary.
That's true - but I haven't seen to many of those.

So I guess a stick is only possibly needed with windows that swing up, like mine do.

Oldgator73 said:
What if the fire was between you and the door?

In my TT, the door is just across from the fire exit window. So if the fire is at one, it is also at the other.  I guess I should of said that.

This seems like a good place to remind everyone to check your Kidde fire extinguishers to see if they've been recalled.  I have three in my S&B home and one in the Minnie Winnie, and they ALL were subject to the recall! 

The recall applies to Kidde extinguishers with a plastic handle or button for the trigger.  These can fail at the absolute WORST time.  Please don't wait and check all of yours today! 

Kidde home page (recall checker link is in the middle of the page, marked "PRODUCT SAFETY RECALL NOTICE":  http://www.kidde.com/home-safety/en/us/

You will need your model, serial number and date code.  Clear instructions are on the recall pages.  It's quite simple and takes only a moment.  If you have units under recall, complete the form and Kidde will ship replacements, along with prepaid return labels for the defective units.

Safe travels.

As stated earlier, fire spreads so fast, you won't have time to think about putting a blanket on the window sill or much of anything else. I'm diving out the window head first and I'll take my chances. Remember, gases are high so try to stay as low as you can before exiting.

Make checking your emergency exit window operation an annual part of your maintenance. I've found far too many that are virtually "welded" in place from the rubber gasket baking onto the frame. A quick wipe with silicone spray, 303, etc.,  is all it takes to keep it free. Use caution the first time opening it though, since some styles detach from the frame. And if you don't think you're able to climb out that emergency exit window, fire can be a great motivator...

Rene T said:
I'm diving out the window head first and I'll take my chances. Remember, gases are high so try to stay as low as you can before exiting.

Ditto. I also bought a couple of these. They sit on the nightstand and can be put in use in 5-10 seconds. Good for 5 minutes they can buy you the time necessary to get the window open and get out without being overcome. (I did note they are currently unavailable on either the manufacturer's web site or Amazon so not sure what's going on there.)

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
7mark7
Back
Top Bottom