rvupgradestore.com Composet Products Fridge Defend
RV Life Magazine RV Park Reviews RV Trip Wizard

Author Topic: Dolly/trailer towing - where to store at CG's  (Read 523 times)

flagolfer

• ---
  • One of these days. . .
Dolly/trailer towing - where to store at CG's
« on: February 07, 2018, 11:49:24 AM »
DW and I are researching MH's and I originally thought would would tow 4 down.  That was until DW asked - you want to buy a MH AND a 3rd car?  Neither of our current vehicles can be towed 4 down and we both are rather attached to them which now opens the possibility of towing either via dolly or car trailer.

My question is - at the CG, I presume there is a separate area for parking these items other than at your site.  In very general terms, are these areas secure or is it possible I will come out some morning to find the dolly or tailer missing?

Kevin Means

• Forum Staff
  • ---
    • Tactical Flying
Re: Dolly/trailer towing - where to store at CG's
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2018, 12:00:14 PM »
Where to park a dolly, or trailer at a campground can be an issue - especially at smaller, older campgrounds. It's often a good idea to look for campgrounds with pull through sites, but even some of those might not be long enough - depending on the combined length of the vehicles. Short answer is, it totally depends on the campground.

Kev

2011 Winnebago Tour 42QD
Towing a Jeep Rubicon Unlimited LJ
RVI Brake 2, Minder TM-66 TPMS, 960 watts of solar
(Can't wait to spend more time RVing)
Lakeside, California

HappyWanderer

• ---
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2018, 01:43:00 PM »
On the site, rolled under the back of the motorhome, is pretty common.
WARNING: This post may contain a chemical known to the State of California to cause cancer, or birth defects or other reproductive harm.

malexander

• ---
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2018, 02:18:04 PM »
I usually back far enough onto the site, the tongue on my dolly folds in half, and the ramps fold up. This makes it pretty short then I shove it under, or up against the front of the MH.
Marshall Alexander
2007 Fleetwood Bounder 38N DP, 2008 GL 1800 Goldwing, 2007 VTX 1300, Cessna 150 & 172, Rans S19 Venterra

Paul M

• ---
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2018, 03:01:25 PM »
We've been dolly towing for 2 years and have yet to encounter a campground where the dolly could not be kept on the campsite.  We stay at private campgrounds so I can't comment on state/national parks.

We sometimes get pull-thru sites and leave the dolly attached (preferable), but often detach the dolly and store it behind the motorhome on back-in sites.  All but 2 or 3 ft usually fits underneath the back of the motorhome so it doesn't require much extra space at all.  Of course it will depend on the dolly you have and the amount of clearance under the rear of your motorhome.
Paul & Carol
St. John's, Newfoundland, Canada
2014 Winnebago Vista 35F
2016 Honda Fit on ACME EZE Tow Dolly

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2018, 03:51:56 PM »
Whether the dolly tongue fits under the back also depends on the terrain.  The back of the RV isn't always up high...
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

whiteva

• ---
    • Nibbler the traveling squirrel
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2018, 06:58:46 PM »
Haven't had any storage problem with the dolly. Always room to keep it on the camp space.  Once the site was a steep down hill approach so I off loaded the toad then detached the dolly and used the toad to position it at the back of the CS, pulled the car out then had DW back the MH into the level part. When departing I pulled the MH forward just enough & hooked up the dolly to pull out and load the car.

Cheers
2008 Winnie 29TR, Class C
Me: RETIRED: Aerobatic flight instructor, RE Broker, EE,-
DW, Nan, works Finance for RV dealer. Travel short distances pulling 77' MGB on dolly.
 If not in the RV we are on the Sea Ray, with Boudreaux the dog-Nibbler the squirrel  & Shadeaux the black cat.