Dolly/trailer towing - where to store at CG's

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

flagolfer

DW and I are researching MH's and I originally thought would would tow 4 down.  That was until DW asked - you want to buy a MH AND a 3rd car?  Neither of our current vehicles can be towed 4 down and we both are rather attached to them which now opens the possibility of towing either via dolly or car trailer.

My question is - at the CG, I presume there is a separate area for parking these items other than at your site.  In very general terms, are these areas secure or is it possible I will come out some morning to find the dolly or tailer missing?

Where to park a dolly, or trailer at a campground can be an issue - especially at smaller, older campgrounds. It's often a good idea to look for campgrounds with pull through sites, but even some of those might not be long enough - depending on the combined length of the vehicles. Short answer is, it totally depends on the campground.

Kev

I usually back far enough onto the site, the tongue on my dolly folds in half, and the ramps fold up. This makes it pretty short then I shove it under, or up against the front of the MH.

We've been dolly towing for 2 years and have yet to encounter a campground where the dolly could not be kept on the campsite.  We stay at private campgrounds so I can't comment on state/national parks.

We sometimes get pull-thru sites and leave the dolly attached (preferable), but often detach the dolly and store it behind the motorhome on back-in sites.  All but 2 or 3 ft usually fits underneath the back of the motorhome so it doesn't require much extra space at all.  Of course it will depend on the dolly you have and the amount of clearance under the rear of your motorhome.

Haven't had any storage problem with the dolly. Always room to keep it on the camp space.  Once the site was a steep down hill approach so I off loaded the toad then detached the dolly and used the toad to position it at the back of the CS, pulled the car out then had DW back the MH into the level part. When departing I pulled the MH forward just enough & hooked up the dolly to pull out and load the car.

Cheers

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kstoybox
Back
Top Bottom