best satellite system for rv north of the border

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

weeksea

hello
        traveling to Alaska and northern and Yukon. What is the best sat system for TV and or internet

WEEKSEA

Great big old 5 foot dish, stationary, was all that worked reliably in Haines, AK.

You're not going to get much U.S. TV as you go farther north because the earth's curvature blocks satellite signals.  On returning from Alaska we got TV at Soldier's Summit but lost it as soon as we dropped in elevation.  One time in Newfoundland we were on a lake with the dish pointing out over the lake and it was almost pointed downward.  That was the last satellite signal we had for a while up there.

ArdraF

ArdraF said:
One time in Newfoundland we were on a lake with the dish pointing out over the lake and it was almost pointed downward. 

Yup, I recall during out trip to Nova Scotia our portable dish was literally pointed at the horizon

We have had dish at our house in Wasilla......lots of people do. There is Direct up there too, but we couldn't get it at our place as, from what they said, the satellites are lower. I have an AT&T cell phone. When I drove down to America last November I could get good signal if I was near a town. Might consider your phone for an internet source????

Here is a link to a guy who had success with dish in Alaska...........

http://www.rvnetwork.com/topic/124225-dish-network-winegard-traveler-in-alaska-working-great/

Sun2Retire said:
Yup, I recall during out trip to Nova Scotia our portable dish was literally pointed at the horizon

It all depends on what's on your horizon.  A couple of summers ago we spent the summer on PEI (north of Nova Scotia) and had no trouble with DirecTV.  We were aided by the fact that the satellite direction was over a river so we had no obstructions on the horizon.  Occasionally, we would lose the HD signal due to the long path through the atmosphere, but we were always able to switch to SD when that happened.

Sun2Retire said:
The portable dishes are offset dishes where the LNB is mounted below the reflector so the actual path they're looking at is higher than the plane of the reflector.  When the reflector looks like it's pointed at the horizon the beam is actually 22.5 degrees higher.

What's really funny looking is when a wireless ISP uses the 18 inch dishes to connect from a house to a hub on a utility pole,  like here in Pahrump.  The path is close to horizontal so all of the dishes look like they're pointing into the ground.

We have a Dish Network Wineguard Trav'ler automatic dish and were had no problems getting good satellite reception even north of Fairbanks.  Dish allows us to change our local channels with a simple chat session so we were looking at the Fairbanks local channels.

Note that you must have a full sized dish.  Either the dish they install at a house and you mount it on a tripod or an automatic dish like the Trav'ler.

The dome type or portable dish's have too small a dish to pull in a strong signal. 

Below is a picture of the LNB on our dish parallel to the ground while we were in Fairbanks. 

BTW if you are interested in more info about our trip I kept a blog of our trip:  http://downtheroadaroundthebend.blogspot.com/2017/01/alaska-trip-index-april-26september-6.html

Attachments

• 24 Satellite Dish Parallel to roof (Medium).jpg
    24 Satellite Dish Parallel to roof (Medium).jpg
    143.5 KB · Views: 26
Back
Top Bottom