A Good Wax

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It depends on the finish on your RV. If you have full body paint, a good automotive polish will work well. Meguiars and a few other companies make appropriate products.

If you have fiberglass with gelcoat, you need a heavy carnuba paste wax. Turtle Wax makes a carnuba wax product, although I've used an alternate brand on boats for many years.There's no easy on/easy off for this job.

If you have fiberglass with no gel coat and no full body paint, an automotive polish product will work, but have limited life.

3M, McGuires RV marine, and Colinite all get good reviews.

Just received my new 2017 Montana 3921 FB. its not full body paint, but its pretty slick.
Thanks for the help guys!
My only problem now is that it will take several bottles and several days to do. But hey, I asked for it.

I have used bot ICE Liquid and Meguiar's  both were very good... 
One suggestion. do a before and after MPG... Post results. I won't be surprised, many will not believe you.

My personal preference is Protect-All, which is great for painted RV and gel-coat finishes that are not oxidized. As close to wipe-on, wipe off as a cleaner/polish product can be.  However, it's not a great choice for finishes that are badly weathered or really grimy.

Carnuba wax has an almost mystical appeal to consumers, so many polishes contain a few drops of carnuba so the label can claim it.  However, a few drops of carnuba adds zero value to the performance of the product.  Tom mentioned using it on gel coated fiberglass.  Carnuba is a very hard paste wax that requires a lot of rubbing to apply and buff up, but it is probably the ultimate in weather protection and longevity. It resists sun and salt water better and longer than most any other product.  It also produces a good shine if buffed really well.

Nearly all modern Car, RV, and boat polishes are synthetics rather than natural waxes.  Most products are a compromise between three major goals:
#1. Clean and polish the surface to remove embedded dirt, stains, oxidation, etc.
#2. Leave a protective coating that sheds dirt and [maybe] reduces UV penetration
#3. Make the surface look pleasing (shiny)

If you have a fairly new RV in good condition, you need a little of #1, a lot of #2 and enough of #3 to please your senses. Some people like a "wet look" gloss, while others prefer a more stain finish. Whatever rows your boat...

If your RV has a lot of dirt or streaks on the finish, you need more cleaning action (#1).  If the surface is oxidized you also need polishing. Polishing means grit in the formula and therefore more rubbing.  It is essentially very fine sanding.  Rubbing compounds are the extreme of that - a paste designed to gently remove a layer from the surface, all #1 and no #2 or #3 at all.  Products labeled for use on "light oxidation" or claiming to "restore the finish" will have more grit (polishing action), but they usually end up sacrificing some of #2 and #3 to achieve it.

Paste waxes, of which carnuba is the extreme, are mostly #2 and #3 with only a little of #1. If the surface is very dirty or oxidized, you need to apply a cleaner or a polish before using the paste wax.

For a liquid product that isn't a heavy paste that contains more than a "few drops" of carnuba, it's tough to beat a product by Production Car Care. Used by countless auto, RV and boat detailers.

My personal results with ProtectAll have been ho-hum, but each to his/her own.

FWIW on our RV with full body paint, the carnuba-based products are an overkill. I use a spray polish such as offered by Turtle Wax once or maybe twice a year and, in between I wash the coach with Turtle Wax/Zip Wax. Ice is one of the options offered by Turtle Wax; I've used it, but don't restrict my other choices.

Bottom line, you pays your money and you takes your choice. A little experience with various products will tell you what works best for your needs.

I've used the ICE product a few times and was satisfied.  Dri-wash and Guard is another good one (not sold in stores).  Not so much with Meguiars RV polishes, and I'm mostly a fan of the other Meguiars products.

NuFinish is one of my go-to products when the surface needs some extra cleaning and polishing. It has a bit more grit than the "showroom" finish products. I also like the Turtlewax Scratch & Swirl remover (light duty rubbing compound) for restoring slightly damaged surfaces.

Carnuba paste wax can be diluted with mineral spirits to make a slurry that is easier to work with, and there are undoubtedly commercial products that have it already blended.

FWIW, Kit Wax paste has a very high carnuba content, one of the highest if not the highest. It has outlasted many of the much higher priced options on a test I performed on one particular vehicle. It was a clearcoat surface over metal.

I found it to yellow my lighter surfaces on my rv (fiberglass, guessing gelcoat) but lasted fairly well.

Not sure of the name of the product I use now but it is made for marine applications and sold at the big w as a cleaner polish, that gets used first then the same company's final polish.

Mine sits out year round and at present is covered in snow...

If I had a full body paint surface on mine I'd use Kit. Not lazy just dont like doing it that often, I can sacrifice a bit of shine for not having to repeat the process as often....

My choice is REJEX polish, get it on line, not cheap, but goes on easily, polishes off very easily, lasts long, best I have ever seen for bugs washing off.  Their other products, Corrosion X for example are excellent.

The only negative would be need to keep it out of direct sunlight until it "cures", overnight. Just need to choose what you polish and when.

Nu finish, twice a year.  Used in three different units.

It seems like discussions on wax end up like discussions on oil or toilet paper. ;D The best wax I have found is the one someone else puts on for me.  :)

Back
Top Bottom