1985 chevy Lazy Daze - good battery, won't start.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Heatherenders

Hello, I just bought this RV and drove it around town & home last week. Went out to start it up to take it to the DMV today and it will turn over but won't start. Battery is fine, lights will turn on, if I leave it with the ignition the engine is silent but fans blow, dash gauges are on etc.

I noticed if I do leave it like this it does start to smell like gas and the oil gauge will go kinda crazy, flipping back and forth very quickly from a quarter to zero and just sit there.

I have about a quarter of a tank of gas- is this not enough?

Checked oil, transmission fluid & everything is full and clean. Leaking break fluid, but I topped it off and I really need to get it to start (and registered) to get it to a mechanic.

Not sure where the spark plugs are under the hood to check those...

Thanks!

Those symptoms are a mystery, but I can help you get to the spark plugs.

The spark plugs on the Chevy van are way down low on the sides of the engine.  The easiest way to get to them is to sit in a front wheel well (turn the wheels all the way to the left or right to make room) and use a long extension to reach the plug.

Take off the spark plug wire and put the socket on the plug.  Reach up from underneath the engine.

There isn't room for the socket and handle to fit between the engine and the frame, so just put on the socket by itself.

Now take a long extension shaft and insert it onto the socket from the wheelwell, through the gap between the frame and the body sheet metal.  Put the handle on the end of the extension and unscrew the plug.

Replacing the plug is just the opposite.  Start the plug by hand, taking care not to cross-thread it.  Then put on the socket - extension - handle assembly to tighten it.

An Update? 
Sounds to me like it got flooded, typical old carburetor issue. Those old girls are finicky.  Cold start, one solid press with gas all the way down, release, and don't pump it. Usually self corrects itself after sitting a couple hours.  (or take off Air cleaner cover and squirt a shot of ether in it  :) )

While it may be due for spark plugs, they are rarely all so bad that the engine won't start at all.  Maybe run rough, but it ought to start. You can check at one of the plug wires to make sure a hot spark voltage is being delivered from the ignition, but if it is I would look elsewhere for the immediate problem.

Fuel delivery seems likely, but I would be looking for a dirty fuel filter first. You may have sucked a bunch of crud into the filter when you drove and now it has congealed there. If you can get at it, disconnect the fuel line at the engine and crank to see if fuel spurts out.

Thanks for the tips! I'm hoping to get back there tomorrow and dedicate a day to the RV. I'll keep you posted on updates. A different friend seems to think I may have a break in the fuel line since it sounds like the motor may be going and there is the smell of gas. I like the idea of it just being flooded or a dirty fuel filter though. Sounds like an easier fix.

To add insult to injury, the lock on the gas cap seems like it may have seized up and I couldn't get the thing off last night. I remember when I first drove her to the pump last week I struggled with the thing till I just about gave up and then it popped off. I put some WD40 in it, but I'm off to the store to get liquid graphite and a new cap.

Weather finally got nice enough to get out there. Looks like I did flood the engine *facepalm*

Turned the key for a second & it only turned over. Switched it off, waited a minute, turned the key and tapped the gas gently and she started right up. I feel like a bit of an idiot but what are you gonna do?

Now to just get this seized gas cap lock off and to figure out the break fluid leak.

Back
Top Bottom