lost 12v power and generator will not stay started

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Nonibbles

I am new to this forum and just read your posts. I own a 2001 Dolphin 5350 motorhome that has lost 12v power and generator will not stay started. I am  a recent widow trying to sell it and recently had RV shop look at it. Repairman tells me the left side of circuit board/panel has power, there is some type of relay behind panel between live side & 12v that connects to generator, and right side of panel has no power. They don't handle electrical repairs and said he is afraid the entire panel would have to be unwired and removed to see what type of relay or solenoid is in place. Thinks a surge or short backfed from generator. This sounds extremely time consuming and expensive.
Was hoping for some advice as  to whether anyone thinks a generator repairman could fix this. Would like to be able to tell him where to start looking without wasting alot of time and money....
Any advice, recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Is thi sa 50 amp RV?
Why do I ask and what clued me in?

50 amp RV's have two "legs" basically thi means the power is divided into two not quite separate circuits. now I can go into why this is a good thing but Not today. you don't need to know that (Engineers do).

Your service guy said "poiwer to the left half of the panelk" suggests your have a divided power system... This is of course the 120 volt side of life, Affects Air Conditioners, Microwavfe and other heavy duty electridc stuff.

IF you are plugged into a 50 amp source, check it out. If you are plugged into a 30 amp source with a "Dog bone" or puck type adapter odds are the adapter is bad.

If running off the generator. On teh generator will be two circuit breakers.. Odds are one is tripped.

OR< alternative the main breakers one side is tripped.

When this happens the generator (Depending on which leg is down) will only run so long as the jump start battery is connected or the boost switch is held once it is released the generator no longer has fuel since it has an electric fuel pump.

Also possible is a bad converter. but this woudl not kill "half the panel".

Hands on I can do a much better diagnosis job.

I wish I was more qualified to answer your questions....Generator has 50 & 30 amp. I'm going to send your info to repair guy to see if this helps. Great info you have provided and thanks for your time/help.

It's true the generator won't run without adequate 12v power - that's what makes the fuel pump deliver fuel to it. So, I'm guessing the coach doesn't have any lights or other 12v power either.  If you start the coach engine and let it run several minutes, will the generator then start? The engine alternator supplies 12v in that case.

The lack of power on "the right side" implies the two power "legs" that John described. If plugged to shore power, or if the generator runs, both "sides" should have 120v power. If the side that supplies power to the coach 12v converter & battery charger is inoperative, the coach "house" battery(s) will be probably be dead and the 12v converter cannot supply power either, so no 12v power anywhere.

Nothing you have said so far suggests a generator problem to me.  In fact, if you can't get the generator running, how could it be causing a problem [yet]?

Is the repair guy knowledgeable about RVs?  It doesn't sound that way...

I'm going to pass your info along to repair guy. It's my only choice. There is only one rv repair shop in our area and he has even told me they don't usually handle electrical matters but he is doing his best to help me. When my generator repair guy was looking at rv, we had it running and generator still wouldn't start. He "jumped" it and it started but wouldn't keep running. He checked all batteries and they were fine. Told me I would need to bring it to his shop so he can find the problem. I've had rv at current shop getting some other things repaired and he offered to look at 12v problem while he has it at his shop. Maybe I will hear from him soon.
Your info is very helpful and I will pass it along.
I am a recent widow and trying to sell rv but know it has to be repaired first.
Thanks again for your input and your time.

NC coast.
Another issue I have is no one to drive it for me. Have been getting my sister's neighbor to drive it (former Class A owner)but he is currently out of state....

As Arch said, Where are you  "We" (Forum members) are all over the place. so it is possible someone nearby may be able to help you.

(Won't be me, I'm in a different time zone).

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chewys79
Back
Top Bottom