Must See in Tucson?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Heli_av8tor

After leaving the Q we spent 6 nights (free  :)) in two Yuma RV Resorts.
After 2 nights in Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument we are headed to Tucson.

Is there a historic district worth visiting?

Any suggestions for the area appreciated.

Thanks,
Tom

Biosphere 2 is interesting.  A ranger talk at Saguaro  National Park is very interesting. Take the tram ride up Sabino Canyon.

Tucson favorites.

Betty Brewer said:
Take the tram ride up Sabino Canyon.
X2  :))

Haven?t been, but there?s also the Titan Missle Museum in Sahuarito

And if you are a fan of Westerns, a trip to the Old Tucson movie studio is interesting.  You'll see the places that are familiar in movies and TV shows, and see the obligatory street gunfights and saloon musical shows.

Heli_av8tor said:
After 2 nights in Organ Pipe Cactus National Monument we are headed to Tucson.

Tom,

I see that you have a 2004 Pace Arrow 37C. I assume that means it is 37 feet long. Did you have any trouble getting into Organ Pipe? The last time we were there, they limited RVs to 35 feet or less. There were lines painted on the entrance pavement exactly 35 feet apart and if you didn't fit between the lines you could not enter.

Perhaps they have changed that in the last 15 years.

R

No trouble at all. They have sites for up to 40' and they accommodated my coach with toad at almost 60' total.

They assign sites so that campers with shorter rigs don't take the longer spaces.

Tom

The boneyard tour must be scheduled in advance, I believe at least 2 weeks.  We tried to go last week, and were told that a security check must be done on anyone going on the boneyard tour.

We stayed in the Butterfield RV Resort and Observatory in Benson, AZ.  Benson is about a 40 minute drive southeast of Tucson.  It is also about a half an hour drive from Tombstone, and a little over an hour from Bisbee.

Tombstone is a great place to spend a couple of hours.  Lots of shops, restaurants, and some historical sites.

Bisbee was very enjoyable.  It is a quirky town, and has a large number of artists living there.

The Butterfield RV Resort is a very nicely appointed and well maintained RV park.  The sites have paved parking for your rv, they are pet friendly, with two dog runs, and the observatory is free for guests.  My DW and I were very impressed with the presentation at the observatory.

Whatever you decide, I think you'll find the area pretty cool and enjoyable.

jayc2640 said:
Bisbee was very enjoyable.  It is a quirky town, and has a large number of artists living there.

Bumper sticker seen last year in Bisbee: ?Bisbee, just like Mayberry, on acid?

Tom, we just missed you. We left that area today. We went up to the Whipple Observatory visitors center behind Elephant Head mountain. Its just south of Tucson, out of a small town called Amado. The observatory itself only gives two tours a year, and the next one is not until March, but the visitors center is open. When you come down, stop at the Cow Palace. Its world famous and used to be a favorite place of John Waynes. Bob had a steak there and he said it was pretty good..... thats Minnesotan for Excellent!!

So many options, so little time.
We have a package to pick up in Benson tomorrow. Hopefully it will be available early. Plans are fluid, but will probably head for Bisbee.

Tom

Hi Tom,

I'd consider Catalina State Park which is north of Tucson and east of I 10. Costs $30 per night but a good vantage point to see Tucson and while a great place to hike and see things, only a couple of miles from areas to shop and eat. There is a lot to do in Tucson.

Hi Tom,
Glad you made it to Organ Pipe NM!  I left Yuma on Saturday and am boondocked near Why. I drove down thru the Monument yesterday. Went to visitors center and checked out the campground. Planning to move down there in a few days - too far to drive back and forth from Why.

In Tucson in addition to the other places mentioned I would highly recommend the Arizona Sonoran Desert Museum. If you go try to plan it on a day that isn?t real windy so you will be able to see the free flight raptor program. They are held at 10 (I think?) and 2. The birds are amazing to view.
Debra

Thanks to all for the great suggestions.

Our time in Tucson was too short to take advantage of most of them. Next year we will be better prepared and not be on as tight of a schedule.

Tom

Back
Top Bottom