Tire Scare

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Heli_av8tor

I was driving east on Hwy 86 towards Tucson when my Tire Traker gave a Rapid Pressure loss and Over Temp warning. It said the passenger outside dual was at 68 psi and 199 degrees F.

I slowed and got off the road ASAP. When I got out I couldn?t see any evidence of a problem. The tire felt normal temp comparing to the inside dual.

I got my tire pressure gage out and it showed 110 psi. This is the same as the Tire Traker was showing for the other three rear tires.

I put the sensor back on and it reported normal pressure and temp.

Glad it was a false alarm, but wondering what caused it.

Tom

I have the tire minder (same setup as the tire trakker)  and mine is always giving alarms.
It has always been pressure going up and when stopped it will go off as tires cool and pressure drops. Seems there is always one senser doing this.

Hi guys,
    Good to hear it was just a false scare.  May the rest of your trip go smooth.

Bill Dane
99 Country Coach

AFAIC tire sensors cause more stress then the remote safety they claim to provide.  More useless government nanny state garbage.

Glad all was well.

The dealer We bought the coach from said they were more trouble than they are good. He won?t carry them but would sell if forced.

Until now it?s been quite comforting.

Bill, thanks for the well wishes. BTW, we joined SKP today and gave your name as the referring member.
Safe travels.

Tom

I am someone whose TPMS saved me from very expensive damage when I had a tire blow. I got the alarm, pulled over, and found a flat tire just starting to shred. If it had done that at highway speeds I would have had significant body damage. I would wonder if Tom needs new batteries. Weird things happen with low batteries.

Also, we tend to have more false alarms when it's cold first thing in the morning.  We always check them just to be on the safe side and the alarm stops once they warm up after driving a while.  Temperature fluctuations can cause the psi to increase or decrease so it's just outside the normal range.

ArdraF

I've had two times the TPMS likely prevented a blowout. First time leaving early in the morning to get some work done on the coach, had a solid hour drive at freeway speeds. Slowly crawling out of the neighborhood I turned on the TPMS and got an alarm on an inner dual, reading about 15 PSI if I recall. Thought it couldn't be right, but stopped and checked with a gauge - 15 PSI. Returned home slowly and found a leaking valve stem extension which I replaced.

Second time, another early morning departure, this time remembered to turn on TPMS before start - alarm on left front - 15 PSI low. Found a leak in a valve stem.

In two years the only "false" alarm I've had has been caused by sun reflecting off wheel simulators on duals while parked, setting off temp alarm. I think TPMS is a great safety device, and I wouldn't be without it.

One of the things that can cause a TPMS to false is that there are a whole lot of them. and only so many Radio frequencies they can use and so many ESN's (electronic serial numbers)

So what happens if a SEMI using the same TPMS system I have on my MH and Towed passes and one of the tire sensors on his truck is the same ESN as my towed... Well it's going to show serious OVERPRESSURE on my display and FLAT on his till we are out of each other's range.

Back
Top Bottom