Locked out of 2007 39' Winnebago Journey TWICE!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
After using the remote to lock our new-to-us motorhome, we could not regain entry.  The remote would not unlock the dead bolt nor would the key.  Good Sam sent a locksmith and he attempted to use his magic and after about 2 hrs, he gave up.  Since we were on the road, we spent the night in a motel across the street.  The next morning, my husband and a fulltime rv'r we had just met used a hacksaw to saw thru the dead bolt and within about a half hour, we were in!  When we got home, we had the lock etc. replaced by an rv tech for pretty close to $500.  No one seemed to be able to tell us what had happend to cause the lock out. Two years later in Dec. 2017, we were loaded and ready to leave.  I was behind the wheel, keys in the ignition waiting for hubby to get my bike rack on the back of the toad.  It was taking longer than I thought it should so I left the coach to see if I could help him, shutting the coach door behind me.  When we finished with the bike rack, I tried to get in the coach and again I was locked out.  Both sets of keys were inside along with our 2 dogs.  HOW COULD THAT DOOR HAVE LOCKED ITSELF???? 

Do you have keyless entry or do you have to use keys? I've never heard of a door locking itself, that's a new one. The horse has left the barn but you need to get one of those Hide-A-Keys boxes and stick it to something metal in the front, maybe the side of the generator. This was something I did with our then brand new coach right after delivery.

John is right. I  always have a spare key someplace on the outside of my cars and 5er.  I may lose a set or lock myself out.  I actually have 4 sets for the 5er, one in the truck, one in my wife's purse, one in my pocket, and one hidden.

John Canfield said:
I've never heard of a door locking itself, that's a new one.

That's her story and she's sticking to it  :))

In the meantime, get a spare key, crawl under coach and hide it.  My kids have thanked me a couple times for storing a magnetic box with key under their car.

I have hidden a key on each of my vehicles. That being said, I locked myself out of my old Ranger the other day and spent a half hour feeling around for the key box. I could not find it and had a friend go to my house and get the spare key and bring it to me. When I got home I put the truck on the lift and sure enough, the key box was right where I had put it. Somehow I could not feel it. It had been years since I looked for it.

I am not going to have a trip ruined by a lost key, so I have one hidden on the outside, but super easy to reach, that opens the door. Inside is a FULL set of keys, including a chipped, programmed ignition key, these too are hidden.

Programmed key fobs and chipped keys are hugely expensive nowdays, and losing them, even if you have a spare is very costly to replace. Get a key that will get you inside and hang it on a neck strap (like you hang an ID badge at work on) and wear it when hiking, walking, etc. That way it cannot fall out of your pocket, get left in a jacket pocket and lost, etc. Leave the expensive keys inside the motorhome.

Charles

I put the magnet key box on top of the trailer hitch receiver on the passenger side.  Sight unseen but easily accessible.

The first year we had our coach we arrived at a site, set the brakes and got out to move the picnic table so we could back in. Both dogs were inside and coach running.
Went to get back in and door locked. All keys and phones inside with the dogs.
Of course we had the keyless entry (but it was the Frigette system and didn?t work)
Thankfully, I had just looked at how drivers window lock worked that afternoon before we left.
Moved the picnic table over to drivers window, borrowed a table knife from folks next door and was able to slip the window lock.
When I climbed in, wouldn?t you know it, I ended up leaning on the horn.
Those air horns sure draw attention to what?s going on.
I?m pretty sure we provided some entertainment to those close by.
From that point forward, I always have a spare in my pocket AND one hidden
Make a long story short, we were locked out 3 or 4 more times before I figured out what was happening, it was our larger dog, he would get by the door watching us and his movements locked the door.
Who would have thought that would happen.

Bob T said:
..Make a long story short, we were locked out 3 or 4 more times before I figured out what was happening, it was our larger dog, he would get by the door watching us and his movements locked the door. Who would have thought that would happen.
Durn those critters!  That's why I asked the OP if they had keyless door locks  ;)

One of our cats would run around the coach at night after lights out and one time she jumped on the steering wheel and there goes the air horn in the middle of the night. After that I started to turn it off.

Ha ha, we've had our cat Morris lock us out of the truck while I was hooking up the TT in a driving rain storm
with the engine running. The spare was in the wife's purse inside the truck. An hour later AAA showed up to
unlock the truck. The whole time Morris is just enjoying himself inside the nice warm vehicle. Lesson learned.

Have I missed something here? The OP has a keyless lock that operated the deadbolt seemingly on it's own, and the operating system will not unlock it. Having spare keys/ fobs doesn't seem like that is the solution to their problem. But then again, with my thought process anymore, that may not be the problem at all.

As already mentioned, slipping the lock on most of the standard sliding windows used in RV's is a simple process with a table knife or other thin bladed tool. Entry through the open window might involve a ladder or a boost, but it's not that difficult.

kdbgoat said:
Have I missed something here? The OP has a keyless lock that operated the deadbolt seemingly on it's own, and the operating system will not unlock it. Having spare keys/ fobs doesn't seem like that is the solution to their problem. But then again, with my thought process anymore, that may not be the problem at all.
Actually the OP hasn't responded to my query if they have a keyless entry system or not. I suspect not. Even if we use our remote fob to lock our entry door or bay compartments, a key will unlock (actually two keys required for the entry door.)

The first time, the OP said they locked with a remote, and neither the remote or a key would unlock. Then it magically locked itself, and both sets of keys were inside. OP asked how it could have locked itself. Other than someone mentioning a pet hitting the lock button, no gave a reasonable answer on how it locked itself. Unfortunately, the OP didn't say how they got in this latest time.

Mine has locked itself at least twice in the 2 years we've had it.  It's haunted, or the wireless system is sensitive to some other RF.  I would not want to try to break in, so I have a set of keys on me anytime I leave it now.

On my current car (2017 Journey) with key-less ignition, I have noticed on several occasions the vehicle suddenly locked itself for no apparent reason until.... the horn beeped on locking one day and I realized that the "remote", which is always in my pants pocket, was the guilty one. Bending over had resulted in squeezing the lock button. This has probably resulted in several unlocking occasions too, no beep when that happens,  as I can almost swear I had locked the car before leaving it.

I don't know if it can happen with an RV remote door, but at our home something triggers our remote driveway gate from time to time, and today opened our garage door.
I wish I knew where the signal was coming from or what it is coming from.

Our 2008 Toyota locks its doors all the time.No one is sure why but I carry my fob on a different key ring than the key.  I was told it is a Toyota thing. 

It's not.. many cars lock their doors these days.
We have a 2006 CRV that will relock the doors about 2 mins after being unlocked supposedly if nothing happens. It's relocked more than once with the keys in it

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom