Looking For 1 or 2 "Home Base" Areas in Upper Peninsula of Michigan

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

steelmooch

Hello, all...and thanks for your time and consideration.  :)

I'm looking for 1 or 2 "home base" areas for 3 days apiece in the Eastern side of the MI Upper Peninsula (generally speaking, from the Hiawatha National Forest and east of there). 

We're hoping to get a good feel...a general overview of the area...while we're there.  We're not really "into" any one thing...a bit of nature, a bit of culture, a bit of history, some local food & drinks, some sights, and we're happy. 

It seems an obvious choice to stay somewhere on one of the beautiful lakes...but in doing so, you create long drives to see other attractions. 

Any recommendations for one or two "base camp" areas that would let us get a nice feel for the U.P. in 5-6 days? 

Thanks! 

I'll be following along to see the suggestions, as we're trying to plan a similar trip.  Pretty sure we'll stay a few nights at Tahquamenon Falls SP.  We will also stay a few nights at Straits SP and visit Mackinac Island.  Beyond that, not sure.

Are you planning to visit Mackinac? 

we stayed at the vagabondresort.com  it was ok but close to the things we wanted to do, got a great rate from Passport America
the FARQUAR ? METSA TOURIST PARK & CAMPGROUND, 150 W IRON STREET, GWINN MI is west of the forest but also in a good location for seeing places
we have also stayed at the Munising Tourist Park and the Tiki in St. Ignace.
a must stay is Tahquamenon Falls SP, go to the shipwreck museum.
we don't eat out a lot but did find a few good places to eat in all the locations we stayed. we like to bike and hike so we chose the above places to get us closer to the activities we enjoy.
it seemed everywhere we wanted to go was a drive but more than worth it.
one of our favorite places in the UP is Marquette, lots to do there and really good restaurants and micro breweries. I know it is west of your location but worth a look at. we spent 3 weeks there this past summer and wish we would of spent more time there.
check out http://rvagogo.blogspot.com/2017/08/  they do a great write up about the UP and some places to see
enjoy your trip

Munisng is a must see area. Can spend a couple days exploring waterfalls and Pictured Rocks .
Sault Ste. Marie is full of history, shopping and eating. Plenty of camping along St. Mary River.
Neebish Island, Neebish Island Resort.
Cedarville.

Waltbob said:
Munisng is a must see area. Can spend a couple days exploring waterfalls and Pictured Rocks .

Can not argue with that one bit..  Also there is a decent medical center.
(For us older folks medical centers are kind of important)

Of course there is always the Paradise area (You'll be glad you made it)
Tahquamenon  falls is just west of Paradise.  Small town. But nice

THere is so much in the Upper Penn that to tell you all about it one would need to write a book, I've only "Read" about 1/3 of the book. (Been to 1/3 of it).

Back
Top Bottom