Switching from a Born Free (Class C) to a Class B ? opinions welcome!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rkquaid

Good afternoon,
I am seeking opinions, ideas, etc. on downsizing from a high quality class C to a class B of comparable quality and reliability.  Currently, I own a 2011 Born Free 27RSB and it has been exceptional in terms of reliability, fit and finish and dependability.  Unfortunately, I have to keep it offsite due to town regulations. Plus, I do not want to tow a vehicle.  The latter means that whenever I am on the road, I have to scout out parking lots for spaces that will accommodate my RV.  This becomes challenging at busy state and national parks.  If I had a B, I could park it at the house and take it just about anywhere.  As I like to take guests with me occasionally, I need a B that will accommodate 3 people?not saying all that comfortably, but doable.
Since I have had an RV that is so solid, reliable and trustworthy, I am looking for a B that might come close to it in those terms.  I have researched Pleasure Way Lexors (on Promaster chassis), Roadtrek Zions and Winnebago Travato 59Gs. Has anyone out there chosen to downsize from a C to a B?  Anyone have any suggestions for quality B?s that I might not have considered? 
I have just about developed split personalities over this whole thing:  Pro and Con could be my names.  Have been to RV Supershows (latest in Tampa), showrooms and online forums.  Really having trouble with this decision and would love your input.
Thanks so much!
Rkquaid/a.k.a. ProCon

From someone that has done than and regretted it stay with your very nice class C.  Save yourself some money and rent one for an extended trip before you sell or trade in your class C on a B.

We have been RVing since 1984 and have had most types of RVs except popup trailers and diesel pushers.  In 2010 we decided we wanted to change the way we traveled by RV so we in 2011 we sold our 30? two slide Winnebago Minnie and the Jeep we always towed.  We purchased a used 20? Pleasure-Way Class B and did many extended trips in it for over the 18 months we owned it.  We really liked the small MH the way it drove and the idea we didn?t need to tow anything, but it was just too small for us.  Not enough room for us and definitely not room for any guest.  The last trip we did in it about 1000 miles from home I told dw I can?t stand this anymore and it will go up for sale when we get home.  Took a loss on the sale, but I was happy to see it go. 

We are now back to a under 25? Winnebago 24V (June 2012) that I have remodeled just for the two of us.  I am now enjoying RVing again.  We can travel with or without a toad.  Dick nvrver

Another issue we had with the class B was the roof top air conditioning, our previous and current class C?s have ducted AC.  Not sure if new class B van conversions have ducted AC, but ours came directly out of the roof top AC directly on us and was very noisy, we could hardly carry on a conversation or hear the TV when it was running.  The small bathroom & shower was another issue, but will not go into that.  Since I?m the only person to reply maybe most have not made the mistake I made and you are thinking of making.  Let us know what you decide.  Dick nvrver

Appreciate your feedback nvrver!  Every now and again I start daydreaming about trading in my C for a B and I'm currently in one of those phases.  My imaginary downsides are the exactly what you mentioned. 

I lived in a class B for a few years before moving up to a class A and the size savings of a B are not worth the effort. You live in an RV 95% of the time and drive it 5% of the time. So maximizing an RV for driving and parking just do not make any sense to me at all. Spend a few days living in the bathroom in your sticks and bricks to see what I mean.

SeilerBird said:
I lived in a class B for a few years before moving up to a class A and the size savings of a B are not worth the effort. You live in an RV 95% of the time and drive it 5% of the time. So maximizing an RV for driving and parking just do not make any sense to me at all. Spend a few days living in the bathroom in your sticks and bricks to see what I mean.

Living in anything vs using it for occasional travel, touring, sightseeing is very different. The OP lives in a S&B and wants a multipurpose vehicle to vacation and tour with that also makes good transportation. I bought a Stowaway2 container for hitch mounting from a fellow that had a Sprinter high top class B. He used it for daily transportation and did some short trips in it, mostly day trips. He liked it because he frequently needed to lay down and rest, due to several health conditions.

However that being said, I think the OP isn't looking too hard for sites to park in if he cannot find something for a 27-28 ft C class in a state or Federal park They are all over the place. Mine is 24 ft overall and it simply isn't a problem for traveling. It is a hassle not having a toad since it is a pain to break camp just to go sightseeing or playing tourist for the day, only to return to camp in the evening, but that same hassle exists in a B and a C.

Charles

I full timed for 10 years without a toad and had no real problems. Hey, I am retired, I am on vacation. I have all the time in the world to breakdown and set up camp so I can use the RV as a vehicle. There are a lot of advantages to being toadless. Better gas mileage, easier to drive and park. Cheaper on insurance and licensing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom