98 Newmar diesel with a cracked head??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

oldryder

Found an older diesel in nice shape at a dealer.  Currently in the shop for replacement of a cracked head.  I don't know a lot about diesels but I'd assume a cracked head means the engine was seriously overheated at some point.  Is this correct? I'm told the head and valve train will be replaced with new parts but if it's likely the engine has been overheated I think I'll pass.

So ... cracked head probably means overheated?

thx to anyone providing advice.

MArk in MN

Not necessarily. Some of the Cummins 5.9L engines had a poor quality head that cracked sooner or later.

Diesels are such high compression engines and run so hot that mechanical failures in the metal are somewhat more likely to happen. Whether that's the case in this one, or it was neglected or abused, I could not begin to guess.

1998 was before the engines had the ability to store events such as overheating, yes?  ???

1998 was the changeover year when Cummins diesels moved to electronic controls, the "IS" series engines.  A 1998 RV could have either the mechanical "B" engine or the electronic control "ISB". Or the "C" vs "ISC".

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom