What vehicle to TOAD?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Warhorse

Which vehicle of any style is the most convenient to tow behind a motorhome?

I currently have a 2010 Toyota Camry on a Demco Kar Kaddy 3.

I am thinking a tow bar, and compatible type small vehicle would be easier than using the dolly.

I have been using a Jeep Patriot , manual transmission. Very light so it goes well with gasses.

My primary toad is a Jeep Grand Cherokee which is the easiest of the 2 to hook up, the Honda CRV before 2015 was one of the more popular toads. There are many vehicles  that can be towed 4 down but you have to look up any particular car to find out

A friend of mine was RV'ing some years back. He had a Jeep Cherokee. He had locking hubs on all four wheels, so that the drive train was completely disengaged.
When I was shopping for a Toad, I tried to find something like that, and nobody seemed to know what I was talking about.

My toad is a '15 Jeep Wrangler, automatic transmission.
Transfer case in Neutral, transmission in Park and Bob's your Uncle.

Corky

To try to answer your specific question, the TYPE of vehicle, i.e van, compact car, big SUV, has very little to do with ease of towing as long as it is not too heavy for your RV.  HOW that vehicle is towed, i.e. 4 wheels on the road (4down), tow dolly or 4 wheels on a trailer, has everything to do with towing convenience.  As you have discovered, tow dollies can be a bit of a pain.  It really does not matter what vehicle is on the dolly.

What vehicle you tow depends on what YOU want to drive once you arrive somewhere.  The connection process is the same for any given setup, regardless of what vehicle it is set up on.  Different tow bar styles make towing simpler or harder, but I can not tell you which are which.  Different brake systems for the toad make setup different.

Some cars can be towed 4down, some need modifications (trans pump) to be towed 4down, others can NOT be towed 4down.  Remco Industries web site is the BEST source to see if a specific make, model, engine, trans, drive, etc is towable.  The owners manual is the ultimate authority.  There is also an annual guide that lists current model year vehicles that can be towed 4down.

I hope this helps.

All 4-down towable, aka "dingy" or "toad", are pretty much equally convenient.

The question you need to answer are:
1. What type of vehicle do you prefer? Sedan, SUV, pick-up, etc.
2. How much weight can your coach tow?
3. And then, what 4-down towable vehicles fit that those parameters.

Motorhome Magazine publishes a list of "Dinghy Towable" vehicles every year - scan the listings at http://www.motorhome.com/download-dinghy-guides/

Warhorse said:
Which vehicle of any style is the most convenient to tow behind a motorhome?

I currently have a 2010 Toyota Camry on a Demco Kar Kaddy 3.

I am thinking a tow bar, and compatible type small vehicle would be easier than using the dolly.

What are the things/feature/stuff that you don't like about your current setup?

I know, from my own personal experience that my most current setup is by far the most convenient.
Within the last 4 years I went from, rigid towbar to dolly, to a Demco towbar with a Brake Buddy setup. And now my current setup is a ReadyBrute Elite that is a towbar with an integrated break system all roll into one package. I really like this setup because after hooking up the towbar all that is left to do id hook up a few cables, and of course prepare the toad for towing.

My dolly worked flawless but I didn't care for all of the work involved to be on down the road. There were a couple of occasions that I had to lay on the ground to make sure the wheel straps were attached properly. Which afterwards called for my 2nd shower of the day.

I have no complaints on this setup, and short of the toad hooking itself up I don't see anything easier or less complicated.

Hope this helps, and good luck in your research.

Corky

What I found is the larger Jeep Grand Cherokee is easier to hook up because once set up properly sim[;y put in 4wd neutral and go. The aux braking system is simple to install for towing The aux brake cylinder in the Honda is a pain to install because of my size plus there is a short procedure to do before towing.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom