Page Arizona to Las Vegas via lower Utah route

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

muskoka guy

We are currently in Page Arizona. The weather has been good up here. We were going to go back to Williams, then on to Las Vegas with a stop at Kingman before heading south to Texas. The weather is showing possible snow on Tues and Wed for Williams and rain for Kingman. We were thinking its only four hours to Vegas over the Utah route. We would stay a few days there, then stop in Kingman on the way south. We are driving a 40ft pusher with a toad. Does anyone have any input into taking the Utah route this time of year. Are there any big passes ect. The weather looks good, and I have checked all the elevations of each town and it appears they are not much higher than we are here in Page. Any input would be appreciated.

If you're talking about taking US 89 from Page to Kanab, then turning south to take 389 /59 to Hurricane, you're right, it's mostly flat.  I don't know about the weather this time of year, it was late September when I was there and it was an easy drive.

I was towing but my motorhome is a little smaller than yours at 27 ft.  But outside of weather, you shouldn't have any problems.

Thanks for the reply. I got a few on another forum stating the height of the tunnels through Zion, but we dont intend on taking that route. The weather looks good, so we are going to go for it. The rise going back to Williams is much higher than that route. Thx again.

The Grand Staircase Escalante visitors center at Big Water is worth a stop if it's still open.  Also, Pipe Spring National Monument, between Fredonia and Colorado City is an interesting tour.

Easy route, very pretty. Have done it in a 28? motorhome and in a 33? MH towing a VW. Virgin River, BLM Campground between St George and Las Vegas, is a nice place to overnight or even spend a few days.

muskoka guy said:
We are currently in Page Arizona. The weather has been good up here. We were going to go back to Williams, then on to Las Vegas with a stop at Kingman before heading south to Texas. The weather is showing possible snow on Tues and Wed for Williams and rain for Kingman. We were thinking its only four hours to Vegas over the Utah route. We would stay a few days there, then stop in Kingman on the way south. We are driving a 40ft pusher with a toad. Does anyone have any input into taking the Utah route this time of year. Are there any big passes ect. The weather looks good, and I have checked all the elevations of each town and it appears they are not much higher than we are here in Page. Any input would be appreciated.
Wondering how your travels went from Page to Las Vegas? 

On Feb 11, we left Zion and took US-89A from Fredonia to Jacob Lake and then down to Marble Canyon/Navajo Bridge.  This route took us up to 8000' at Jacob Lake.  Since January & the first part of Feb has been mostly dry, we had no problems with the high elevation. 

However by Feb 12 & 13th the nasty weather with rain and wind came up and the route we took would have had snow and maybe ice on the roads. 

If you took US-89 from Page to Kanab and then over to St George you shouldn't have had any problems unless you waited until the high winds, rain and or snow came in. 

Back
Top Bottom