Suggested methods for wall mounting a 15" photo frame on VESA mount

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Back2PA

I have a 15" photo frame that I am going to mount on the wall using a VESA mount. Looking for suggestions on how best to secure the mount to the wall. I have seen online suggestions regarding pop rivets but am hesitant given their limited surface area. The VESA mount I have chosen, combined with the photo frame, weighs 6 pounds.

Why use the Vesa Mount at all?  We use light weight plastic frames and the 3M Command strips.  They come in different sizes for the different weights.  We cut a pair length wise and then press onto the frame, then press the frame onto the rv wall.  If a large frame we cut two length wise and then press top and bottom on each side of the frame.  Holds very well when moving down the road and if they can take all the potholes we encountered on Labrador then they should take anything.  Easy to remove without damaging the walls. 

JakeR said:
Why use the Vesa Mount at all? 

Sorry, I wasn't clear. This is an electronic picture frame (basically a 15" monitor) that weighs 5 pounds and is designed for a VESA mount

I agree with not trusting pop rivets if you can not reach the back to add bigger washers!

How about Molly Bolts?  These are the ones that expand behind the wall, then remove the screw, insert through the bracket and reattach.  They leave a bit of a hole, but that is a problem for the next owner  ::)

https://smile.amazon.com/Prime-Line-Products-10532-Standard-50-Pack/dp/B00QR2MDLY/ref=sr_1_32?ie=UTF8&qid=1518403892&sr=8-32&keywords=molly+bolts+drywall

grashley said:
I agree with not trusting pop rivets if you can not reach the back to add bigger washers!

How about Molly Bolts?  These are the ones that expand behind the wall, then remove the screw, insert through the bracket and reattach.  They leave a bit of a hole, but that is a problem for the next owner  ::)

Ya, I?m thinking molly or toggle. I wish I had a piece of the wallboard to experiment with. I want any bolt expansion to occur on the other side of the board to grip from the back, not in the board like some mollies do. But need to know the exact depth to be sure. Leaning towards toggles for that reason. Going to talk to Newmar and see if they can give me any info on stud locations in that area.

Mollies come in various "shank" sizes - for various wall thicknesses.  The solid segment right behind the screw should be about the same as the wall thickness.  A long shank in a thin wall will be loose.  A short shank in drywall will not expand properly.

IMHO, I prefer mollies.  They require a smaller hole in the wall and the screw can be removed without losing the toggle.  I feel they hold better with more surface contact behind the wall.

The problem with toggle bolts is you need enough clearance in the wall cavity to insert the toggle far enough to let it open.  May be a problem with the thin walls in an RV.

I just mounted a TV mount in our Artic Fox, the wall was about a 1/8" thick laminated panel. The problem I had was that those collapsible molly bolts that I bought ( Ace Hardware ) that would grip down to a 1/8"  thick panel were small screws like around a # 8, not much wt. holding when you add bouncing around in a RV. And I had a couple strip really easy, cheap, cheap. It could be just the brand from Ace. But yes try a dry run on something similar to your wall if you go that route. I was lucky because it turned out that I could thru bolt the mount and have the nut side inside a Cabinet on the other side of the wall,,,gregg

Latest posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
automedicmobile
Back
Top Bottom