How to get a better shot

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
I posted images of a couple of seals over on our Fishing board. Wish I knew how to get decent shots. One thing I realized I should probably do is switch to burst mode, but couldn't recall how to do that on this camera  :-[

Tom said:
I posted images of a couple of seals over on our Fishing board. Wish I knew how to get decent shots. One thing I realized I should probably do is switch to burst mode, but couldn't recall how to do that on this camera  :-[
Burst mode is set on your camera by turning the dial on top of the camera to the burst mode setting. However burst mode would not help you with those shots. Nothing would. You are experiencing the frustration of being a wildlife photographer. You don't just accidentally bump into great wildlife shots, they take some planning. The problem with those shots are that you are too far away, which ruins about 99% of the wildlife shots that a wildlife photographer wants to take. Wildlife simply do not want to have their photos taken. Getting close enough is very difficult. Learning how to get close enough to photograph any wildlife is way harder than operating the camera.

Thanks all. Had I proceeded to launch the bass boat, I could have reduced the distance. However, I decided I wasn't going to catch any fish, and was in my point-and-shoot mode.

Tom, your camera will take interchangeable lenses, right? Can you pick up the 45-200 that Panasonic makes? https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1304870-REG/panasonic_h_fsa45200_lumix_g_vario_45_200mm.html

That 200mm in your camera would be equivalent to a 400mm 35mm lens. And it has internal stabilization. As mentioned above, getting close is the key, but if you can't get close, a nice telephoto is a good alternative.

Thanks for that henkel. I should have grabbed my Canon with a better lens, but I've been trying to make the Panasonic my go-to camera (I like the weight). Not sure I want to spend money on additional lenses for that occasional shot, especially with my P&S picture-taking mode.

[quote author=SeilerBird]Burst mode is set on your camera by turning the dial on top of the camera to the burst mode setting.[/quote]

Aye it is Tom. I use this (or any of my cameras) so infrequently that I don't remember where the various controls are. My grandson has a successful pro photo business, and I've heard him talk about 'muscle memory'. Just like playing a musical instrument  ;D

... burst mode would not help you with those shots.

I mentioned it because it might have helped me capture the occasional leap in the air by one or both seals, or smashing a fish on the water.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MtnRV
Back
Top Bottom