DOWNSIZING FROM 5TH AND 3/4 TON TRUCK

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JBGHEAT

My wife and I had a small 19 foot tt and decided it was too small so we traded for a 24 foot tt. Decided we wanted to vacate CO for 3 or more months every winter and go to warmer climates so we sold the 24 and bought a fifth and a 3/4 ton truck. We did that for a couple of years and realized the 3-4 more month extended stay was not for us.  We also realized that we missed our summer/fall Colorado forest service camping more than we thought we would.  (The fifth is too big to head up to some of our favorite spots).  The final straw is that my wife absolutely refuses to drive the 3/4 ton diesel longbed truck (due to size) but she drove my 1/2 ton for years with never a complaint.

So we're considering downsizing to either a small mh and tow a CRV or a 1/2 ton truck and a 25 ft or so tt.  Pro's and cons with each.  The biggest difference is cost.  I'll be able to do the tt and 1/2 ton for about what I have in my present set-up but the mh with CRV will be about $50k more.

We're looking for the perfect rig to go to AZ for 3-4 weeks, an extended summer stay of the same length of time in the Co mtns,  maybe some 2-3 weeks roadtrips out exploring, and those 2-3 night camping trips.

I'm hoping that some of you reading this have been down this road before and would be willing to share some thoughts and experiences.

My only thoughts are, you have a great plan, and know what you want.  You know what a TT will get you, and a 1/2 ton will get up to 25ft.  It seems you would be well suited for a 30' or less class C,  And as far as Tow vehicle... any reason why you would need a truck or crv?  Might save some cash on something used and smaller tow vehicle.. 

We were considering a Class C for a short while but the cost and the abundance of problems many folks seem to have with MH's have us now considering a 1/2 ton truck with a larger TT than our current 17' Winnebago. Another consideration we weighed was maintaining 3 drive trains, our two daily drivers and the MH.

With the motorized RV and tow, you have two vehicles to maintain plus you may have to settle for a wet bath. We are planning to downsize ourselves. Right now we're favoring a 150 and a Lance TT.

Thanks for the input.  Right now it appears BruceinFL and I are on the same page.  I stopped into a Lance dealer the other day to look around and was impressed with the quality.  Pricier than some of the other lines I've looked at but probably worth the extra $.

There are plus and minus both ways.  Do you need the truck for any other purpose?  Will a 25 ft camper be big enough to meet your needs?  Can you afford the extra $50K?

Make a list of pro and con as YOU see them, then weigh the options for YOUR situation.

Back
Top Bottom