california laws regarding 5th wheel weighing 13500 lbs.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

yogibear

are there any laws regarding towing a 5th wheel in california about 13,500 lbs. for an out of state person just visiting the state. Or any other State. Im from the state of washington.

I'll defer to the folks from California, but the only thing I have heard is 55 mph max when towing. As far as license, insurance etc., whatever satisfies your home state is legal in California.

If it's legal to tow your fifth wheel in the state in which you're licensed, it's legal to tow it here in California. Kdbgoat is right... 55 is the max legal speed for towing anything in CA. Enjoy your trip.

Kev

In case you need further confirmation, I'll give a 'third-it' to the above. I'm a former California motor cop and still go back there regularly for family visits. When we had a 5th wheel (it weighed well-north of 15,000 lb) we towed it all over CA and never considered anything but the 55MPH max speed when towing.  Oregon is the same.

Good luck towing at 55 cuz you'll get run over  :-\.  Semi's are cruising at 65 mph minimum.  When I tow, I just flow with the slow lane traffic and pass when I need to.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozgal
Back
Top Bottom