Sad Story on RV Related Deaths in Florida

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bill N

This story will bring up a lot of recurring charges against older people:
https://tinyurl.com/y7q3wmef

I do not know the full story but as a former drivers license examiner for 10 years I need to say that not ALL older people are bad drivers.  I have road tested many who were reported by police, family or doctors.  Most failed and had their licenses removed.  BUT more than one would expect passed and I personally required that they pass the more difficult parts of a road test in order to maintain their license. We also gave them agility and strength tests as well as reaction tests.  About 10 percent passed and most of those drove better than people in the 40- 50 year age group.  The gentleman in this incident at 99 years old must have been one of those if he had just been through all the retests and medical evaluations.  As I said I do not know the full story such as were the headlights really off (cops say they believe they were) and were they in the proper lane on the roadway.  Nevertheless, RV operators will take a hit on this story.

Bill

It always sends up a flag when a 99 year old is involved in a motor vehicle crash. I'm sure there are folks that old that are alert and healthy enough to drive. His age might not have had anything to do with being in the opposite lane or having his lights off. I've done both. He will most certainly be charged but jail time for someone of that age most likely will not happen. Do you really think MH owners will take a hit for this?

I am 78, and I taught Driver Ed for 34 years, and  have a pretty good handle on driving skills. I am still a very competent, accident and ticket free driver, but I am not as good as I used to be.

I can see far enough down the road to know that at age 99 I will be not competent to drive, and I doubt the ability of the rest of the driving population. I would think that at age 80, a comprehensive driving test, not a "can you park and make it around town" as most places have is a good idea.

It should not upset anyone to have to demonstrate their skills, but I am sure it would.

And there's a big difference between proving skills in a Toyota Camry and a 40' motorhome with a toad. Knowing me, I'm probably gonna be one of those those let go of my license kicking and screaming, but when that happens, it will be for my own good, and the others on the road whether I like it or not . Considering I'm one of those kind of people, I'm all for testing knowledge, eye sight, and road skills after a certain age. That said, a couple of years ago, I witnessed a small, frail appearing 84 year old man back a 43' motorhome in a fairly tight spot with trees all around into that spot first try with no spotter. I doubt I could have done that well. Actually no doubt, I know I couldn't have.

The 98 year old driver has died :'(.  See local link:

http://cbs12.com/news/local/driver-not-facing-criminal-charges-in-deadly-wrong-way-crash 

Oldgator73 said:
. Do you really think MH owners will take a hit for this?

I am just basing that on the fact that people picture most large MH drivers as being elderly and looking at them confirms this is most cases.  Don't forget, to younguns, over  50 is 'elderly'.  I had one lady about 25 tell me that motorhomes scared her more than trucks because anybody can drive one and most of them are just old people......lol

Bill

Well I'm 72 and think that old RV drivers are unsafe.  I sold my diesel pushers and then went to a Class C and sold it.  I think that I was in full control, but don't think that I would be forever.  I sold my last RV and am glad that I didn't kill anyone. I hate to see RV drivers getting out of the coach and can't even walk or hooked to an oxygen  hose.  There is a time to get out and remember the good times.

yolo said:
Well I'm 72 and think that old RV drivers are unsafe.  I sold my diesel pushers and then went to a Class C and sold it.  I think that I was in full control, but don't think that I would be forever.  I sold my last RV and am glad that I didn't kill anyone. I hate to see RV drivers getting out of the coach and can't even walk or hooked to an oxygen  hose.  There is a time to get out and remember the good times.
Hate to disappoint but being hooked to an oxygen hose means nothing when it comes to ability to drive. Don't ask me how I know.

Bill

Bill N said:
Hate to disappoint but being hooked to an oxygen hose means nothing when it comes to ability to drive. Don't ask me how I know.

Bill

I agree, Bill, although fortunately not from personal experience yet. My wife is also "tethered" at times with no driving issues.

yolo said:
Well I'm 72 and think that old RV drivers are unsafe...

...I hate to see RV drivers getting out of the coach and can't even walk or hooked to an oxygen  hose.  There is a time to get out and remember the good times.

I'm 73 and hired a couple of 20-ish yr old men to help me cut down some invasive brushes on my property. I manned the chair saw and they used Loppers for the branches.  After 4 hrs of working both asked to quit for the day saying they were really tired.  The next day one of them came with a different man and when we finished the project they said that they couldn't believe my age and had a hard time keeping up.

The point being that one's age shouldn't matter as long as they're mentally and physically fit; however, at 90, I'd have to question their fitness.

Yep. Recently a guy had an accident right down the road from me. Too busy trying to throw his "Hardee's to go order" trash out the window and dropped his phone, causing him to spill his drink, causing the crash. Thankfully, no one was hurt. I got this info from one of his friends, not something that was reported.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aquaticvegetation
Back
Top Bottom