Telluride, Ouray, Lake City

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Scott 3

We want to explore the Telluride and Ouray area in the summer.  There are some county roads from Lake City through the mountains to the Telluride - Ouray area.  The roads are only open in the summer.  One option takes about four hours to cross because it sounds like a very intense 4x4 road.  I'll be driving a 4x4 Grand Cherokee with a lot of experience but I have stock clearance and I don't want to damage it either.

Are any of the county roads through the mountains between the two areas moderate or mild? 

How long does it usually take to cut across?

That is excellent, thank you.  DW may need to close her eyes in parts. 

A few thoughts:

There are some real experts on that area on this Forum.  See the posting for the Ouray Rally in August.  Probably wise to get a GPS with a track to follow... some areas have many options.  Some go through, some do not.  Do not expect signage to help much.

From Lake City to Ouray, following the most direct route, you can "make it" with the GC if you're careful and walk ahead to get a line in some places.  It also depends on the weather since it can rain or snow easily at the high elevations, plus wind.  Lake City to Engineer's Pass will be easier, generally, than E'Pass to Ouray.  You can take the more southern route to Ouray...last year it was easier.  Probably 4-6 hours?

From Ouray to Telluride... stick to Imogene Pass, avoid Black Bear.  Expect a lot more traffic on this road and the uphill vehicles have the ROW although some ignore this "rule".  This means you might have to back up a bit on a steep narrow road...    Another 3-4 hours depending on conditions.

Hope you have some appropriate tires...

Probably not advisable to travel alone through those areas.  Food, water, tools, rain gear, jackets and a flat kit?  There are very few facilities...

Having said all this, it's a magnificent area, beautiful views/vistas, lots of animals, wild flowers and geology.

Enjoy.

All great advice, thank you.  Campgrounds in the area are booked the week we are looking at but we have an option in Lake City.  We want to check out Telluride and Ouray.  We have not been to this area so we are unsure how to proceed  if Lake City is equally as nice we are fine but I don't want to end up hours out of the way from where we should have gone.  A two hour drive through the mountain pass would not be bad within reason.  I used to do some pretty serious off roading and don't want to do that to get to the other side.  Rough, moderate...would be fine.

OBX said:
All great advice, thank you.  Campgrounds in the area are booked the week we are looking at but we have an option in Lake City. 

I've  had decent luck  by getting my name on a waiting list for a spot to appear in the  campground of my choice.  You may want to  consider that as a back up option.

Ouray is beautiful town with  good restaurants, some hiking, lots of shopping and a  good jump off point for lots of trails. Telluride is cute too  though  very crowded in tourist season.  Good for a day trip.  Have you tried Ridgeway State Park?  Beautiful park, bit of a drive to trails but so nice, fairly close to  Ridgeway.
The  only trail I would avoid is Poukipski  Pass. or some such spelling.  There is one  fairly good waterfall with no go around and  low clearance may  be troublesome.

I definitely have more homework to do.  Thank you everyone!

Four wheeling in that area was on my bucket list with Black Bear Pass being the highlight.  We didn?t have a MH at the time, so we stayed at a motel in the beautiful town of Ouray.  We started out with the Alpine Loop and then after a couple of days took on Black Bear Pass. 

Black Bear Pass is my most memorable trail.  It is beautiful and terrifying all in one.  My wife did not bale out of the Jeep at any time although she had to take pain medication for a sore hip from pressing the passenger brake peddle so hard!

Have a big time, be safe.

Patrick

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
urnwholesaler
Back
Top Bottom