ROOF/WALL REPAIR

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

OntarioCamper

I have a 94 prowler travel trailer  when I purchased it the back corner above bunk  had been repaired(vinyl patches laid) now inside above bunk the ceiling is sagging,also where the awning bolts into wall is loose I believe the roof and top of wall are rotten.  Anyone know what cost maybe to replace entire roof and wall?

OntarioCamper said:
I have a 94 prowler travel trailer  when I purchased it the back corner above bunk  had been repaired(vinyl patches laid) now inside above bunk the ceiling is sagging,also where the awning bolts into wall is loose I believe the roof and top of wall are rotten.  Anyone know what cost maybe to replace entire roof and wall?

The cost would be much more than the value of the RV. I wouldn't attempt to repair it myself. Time to get rid of it and move on. Take the money you'd spend on it for repairs and buy something else. Sell it for for best offer. You won't get much for it if anything at all. 

Roofs !!!! you really have to mind them.
If you are going to replace it, think about 3 to 6 months DIY.
The trailer will have to be undercover and rip everything off that is rotten.
I am an engineer with access to sheet alloy facilities.
I did my Class C RV with 1mm alloy sheets. I replaced the entire over  cab structure.
It worked out well but a lot of work.
If you have the time and skill it would be a nice project.

If you have the skills, place and time to Do-It-Yourself, it is a practical repair. but if you are contemplating paying someone else, even if not an RV dealer, the price will be far more than it is worth and more  than buying another trailer.

Personally, I wouldn't spend the money, time and effort on a '94 Prowler. They sell for about $3000-4000. There's a lot of work involved in repairing what you already described, and it won't get any better when you start pulling it apart and find the rest of the damage. I would spend my money on a trailer that's in better shape. Maybe save the a/c, fridge, water heater and furnace out of the Prowler, as there's a good chance they will fit in another trailer you get, or sell them to someone else. Scrap the rest except frame, axles and tires. Sell that off to someone who wants to make a utility trailer/tiny home.

My little Prowler had similar water damage. I repaired from inside, cut out sections of damaged paneling, replaced any damaged wood framing, replace any damaged insulation, and install new paneling and trim.
Make sure you check and recaulk every seam on the roof and wall that need it!

One of the things i like about my Euro Fiat camper van is the metal roof.
No maintenance and nothing to rot.
I put a aluminium roof on my Coachmen RV for this reason, There is no wood in my roof, just insulation and alloy sheet.

I don't think metal, rubber or fiberglass makes much of a difference. The leak candidates are seams and penetrations, not the clear areas. These still have to be inspected and pookied (technical term) as needed.

Ernie

A lot depends on how bad the damage is. There are some videos on this site that might help.
www.delamrepair.com

Back
Top Bottom