Fire in MH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rene T

Site Team
Had quite a bit of excitement in the CG this morning. A DP Dutch Star burnt up for one thing. It looks like it may have been 3 or 4 years old.  Apparently around 6:00 this morning a neighbor next to the MH woke up to find flames shooting from the roof of this MH. He went over and knocked on the door to get them up. They got out and the owners said there was no smoke at all inside. The man went up on the rook with a fire extinguisher thinking it was his AC on fire. When he got up there, he found that the flames were coming from the vent for his fridge. It looks like it started from behind the fridge. When they opened the door, it allowed more oxygen the enter the rig and that's when it took off. The shell is still intact. Just found out that the fridge was being recalled and they were replacing it today.. The dealer showed up at 10:00 with the replacement fridge while the fire dept. was still here. The front half is totally gutted. Not sure about the back.  They're from MN. They do have a toad so at least they have wheels and they may be able to salvage stuff in the back.

The other thing that happened around the same time was about 500' from where the MH burnt a woman woke and decided to tom let her husband sleep a while longer. She went to wake him up only to find her DH had passed during the night.

Not a good day around here.

Oh that's awful, poor people, at least they got out.  Poor woman to find her husband - that is tough.

Hope the day improves!

That's bad news, alright -- a very sad day indeed.

Not sure if it is actually related to that fire or not, but I just got a recall notice for my 2016 Ventana from Newmar, No. 17V 830:

"On certain motorhomes, there may be a loose electrical connection to the automatic transfer switch (ATS) that was not properly tightened. If the power connection is loose, it could result in a buildup of heat at the connection, which could increase the risk of fire causing injury and/or damage to property. Correction: Dealers will inspect the electrical connections and torque any loose connection to specification."

Interestingly they don't say contact the dealer, but rather to call Newmar Customer Service (800+++) immediately and they'll help you schedule an appointment at an authorized facility.

Larry N. said:
That's bad news, alright -- a very sad day indeed.

Not sure if it is actually related to that fire or not, but I just got a recall notice for my 2016 Ventana from Newmar, No. 17V 830:

Interestingly they don't say contact the dealer, but rather to call Newmar Customer Service (800+++) immediately and they'll help you schedule an appointment at an authorized facility.

Larry, this wasn't started by the transfer switch. It was from the gas fridge.

I was traveling through Lakeland on I-4 this morning at 6:30am on my way to Tampa General.  Sorry to hear they lost their home and the other lady lost her husband. That is how I want to go, in the middle of the night while sleeping!

A fire at night (or anytime) is scary.

Larry, FYI, my ?generator? problem at Q this yearturned out to be exactly the problem in your recall.

The connection in the transfer switch from the genny loosened, overheated, and allowed the wire to short to ground.

The breaker on the genny didn?t trip, but the control circuit sensed the problem and shut down the genny instantly.

An easy fix once I figured it out.

My heart goes out to Rene?s neighbors...

Tom

catblaster said:
I was traveling through Lakeland on I-4 this morning at 6:30am on my way to Tampa General.  Sorry to hear they lost their home and the other lady lost her husband. That is how I want to go, in the middle of the night while sleeping!

Will, if you had looked over your left shoulder at that time, you would have probably seen the smoke. Hope you weren't going to Tampa for yourself.

Rene T said:
Will, if you had looked over your left shoulder at that time, you would have probably seen the smoke. Hope you weren't going to Tampa for yourself.

I was, and going there again today for a 12:00 appointment.........try to not let any more RVs burn down while  I am on the road.

Wonder if the insurance company will go after the refer company.  Seems logical if the fire department can state that is what caused the fire.

Bill

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom