Sponsored by Winnebago Industries

Author Topic: stains inside from leak around skyline  (Read 275 times)

rgriffjr

stains inside from leak around skyline
« on: February 13, 2018, 05:19:18 PM »
I have a 2003 Winnebago Journey DL. Around the skyline in bathroom we have some stains on the ceiling from a leak.  How should we clean it?  Suggestions please.  >:(

John Canfield

• Forum Staff
  • ---
    • Jane and John's Internet Home
Re: stains inside from leak around skyline
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2018, 07:13:08 AM »
Hi and welcome. Are you looking for just cleaning advice and/or finding & fixing the leak?
--John
2005 Horizon 40AD, 2006 Jeep Rubicon Unlimited
Our Horizon projects
Our weather

jagnweiner

• ---
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2018, 07:25:30 AM »
Welcome!  I'll follow along, because I have the same stains.  Repaired the skylight temporarily, but haven't tried removing the stains yet.
-Scott
2000 Itasca Horizon 36LD

Gary RV_Wizard

• Forum Staff
  • ---
  • RVer Emeritus
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2018, 08:46:37 AM »
I'm not sure what the ceiling material is, e.g. vinyl or cloth fabric, ozite-like carpet, some sort of paneling, etc. Generally, though, you can try a mild oxidizing detergent such as OxyClean. If that does do it, try a detergent and bleach solution. Cautiously increase the amount of bleach to determine a safe amount, testing in an unobtrusive area.

Some of these home-remedy treatments for carpet stains may help:
https://www.rd.com/home/cleaning-organizing/homemade-carpet-stain-removers/
Gary
--------------
Gary Brinck
Summers: Black Mountain, NC
Home: Ocala National Forest, FL

jagnweiner

• ---
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2018, 08:52:57 AM »
I'm not sure what the ceiling material is, e.g. vinyl or cloth fabric, ozite-like carpet, some sort of paneling, etc.

Gary, assuming the OP's Journey ceiling is the same as my '00 Horizon ceiling, it's a fuzzy, carpet-like fabric.  (Not sure what ozite is)  OxyClean is what I had thought of using (but haven't gotten around to doing).
-Scott
2000 Itasca Horizon 36LD

wijames2002

• ---
  • "The cure for all problems is sun and saltwater"
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2018, 09:23:44 AM »
I had the same thing recently and tried several things like Oxy clean with no good results. Then I found Clorox Oxy with non chlorine bleach. It does great. Just spray it on and let it sit. The stains fade over several hours but you might need to use several applications. I had one very bad stain from an old satellite dish that took 3 or 4 applications and now I cant even see where the stain was. Hope this helps.
1998 Fleetwood Southwind Storm
Chevy 454
2018 Kia Soul in tow.
"Liam lV" hearing service dog as co-pilot

"People will forget the things you say or do but they will always remember the way you make them feel"

Hosted by Over The Network