Coleman furnace question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

skydivemark

2015 Thor four winds 31L.
My question is; does the coleman central furnace blower  run on 12v or 110/115ac?
Reason I'm asking is, we're parked at my Dad's house and my 30amp cord won't reach his outside outlet so I'm using a 14ga, 25ft, 15amp typical extension cord to get power instead of running the genset for 3-4 days.
We're not running the water heater on electric or anything that draws high power except the furnace. It's not below freezing so no need for tank heaters either.  Will my 15amp extension cord be sufficient to handle the load of the furnace blower?
Thanks for any educated input.
PS; there is no owners manual included for the furnace (but there is for everything else - go figure).
Mark

The furnace should be 12 volts. Not trying to sound like a smart alec, but why not buy a good 12 ga.cord? Believe me, it comes in handy, and costs about $60 for a good 50' one. Or spend the big bucks and get a 30 amp extention cord. Those come in handy too. Just like in situations as you are in now.

First of all, are you sure the furnace is a Coleman brand? More likely you have a Coleman-Mach thermostat but an Atwood or Suburban furnace.  I'm not aware of any brand of RV that comes with a Coleman brand furnace and I want to be sure that we are giving correct advice!

RV propane furnaces normally use 12v to power the fans and the control circuit board. Some furnaces have an add-on 120v electric heater to use when shore power is available, but they are not common and not factory equipment.

kdbgoat said:
The furnace should be 12 volts. Not trying to sound like a smart alec, but why not buy a good 12 ga.cord? Believe me, it comes in handy, and costs about $60 for a good 50' one. Or spend the big bucks and get a 30 amp extention cord. Those come in handy too. Just like in situations as you are in now.
I already have a 50' 30amp extension cord but it doesn't quite reach the outlet.

Gary RV_Wizard said:
First of all, are you sure the furnace is a Coleman brand? More likely you have a Coleman-Mach thermostat but an Atwood or Suburban furnace.  I'm not aware of any brand of RV that comes with a Coleman brand furnace and I want to be sure that we are giving correct advice!

RV propane furnaces normally use 12v to power the fans and the control circuit board. Some furnaces have an add-on 120v electric heater to use when shore power is available, but they are not common and not factory equipment.
You're right Gary, it's a coleman Mach t-stat, just figured (due to my lack of info) the t-stat might be the same brand as the furnace. I don't know what mfgr the furnace is without openning the access panel(s) and for some reason the owner manual for it isn't included in the book.  I did think most were 12v  fan/blowers as far as original equipment. My guess (with your added info) would be Atwood since a couple other appliances are Atwood.

Back
Top Bottom