Pre-purchase inspections

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

rv_adrift

Hi all,

We're planning on purchasing our first RV soon. Since we're very new to RVing, we'd like to have any vehicle that we're really interested in inspected before we make an offer, but we're having a little trouble with the logistics of that. For example, once or twice we've found a model that we really liked and by the time the inspector was available to inspect it, it was already sold.

Anyone have suggestions for how to handle this other than having an RV inspector on retainer? :)

Thanks!

The only advise I can give is for you to do your best and inspect the perspective purchase on your own.  I have attached an inspection list I made up a few years ago when I was looking for our first RV purchase.  You can also purchase "Buying a Used Motorhome" by Bill Myers.  I found this book to be very helpful when we purchased our first motorhome and was one of the sources I used when I developed my checklist.  I also used "The Complete Idiot's Guide to RVing.

Good luck - and I will offer, if you are in Virginia I would be happy to look at one with you and give you my recommendation at no cost.  There are definite tell tale signs of mechanical condition but you have to know what you are looking for and at.  Sometimes you have to take a risk as along as it is a calculated risk, no used RV purchase is without it.

Attachments

• Motorhome Inspection Check List.docx
    18.6 KB · Views: 23
Along with ClickHill's advice, take along a second set of eyes to help you look the RV over. Especially if you have a friend who already owns an RV. You are going to be distracted with filling out and signing paperwork amongst other sales related things. Your friend can do nothing but look at the rig very closely while you are distracted. I did that for a friend here when he was looking at his new rig and I found a couple things he missed that resulted in him not taking the rig home until they were fixed.

Don't be in a rush....the longer you look the more you learn.

I think you could buy on contingency. Meaning you place a minimal amt. down (say $500) to show your serious . However you do not purchase until your inspector has completed their review. Any purchase agreement can contain a contingency but it must be clear and in writing. Good luck.

Ask the seller to accept a deposit with the caveat that that it is refundable if you are not satisfied with the inspection. If he won't agree to that, keep on shopping. There are plenty of rigs available and you need to take whatever time is needed to find a good one and be comfortable with the purchase decision.

Make sure the sales contract specifies that YOU must be 100% satisfied, not simply that it "passes the inspection" or similar wording. The inspector is going to report what he finds, but it is YOU that decides whether it passes or fails your criteria.  You don't want to end up debating the results of the inspection in order to get a refund. It should be your call alone.

Clickhill thanks for the references and checklist! I've read Bill Myers' book, but not other - I'll check it out, too. Where are you in VA? I grew up in SW VA so we're there every once in a while and have considered looking at the market in the Roanoke area.

Atm, the deposit approach Gary and CP recommended sounds like a good one. Thanks for the suggestions, everyone.

One last tip that may be plenty obvious but let me share ...  I recently bought (upgraded) to a ten year old DP from a 5er. We shopped for 6 months and really expected to shop much longer but, amazingly, something that fit our wish list almost entirely popped onto the radar screen and we jumped.  I flew to the city where it was located after a telephone negotiation and a "telephone handshake".  The seller picked me up at the airport and drove me to see the coach. I was fully prepared to take my cashier's check and fly back home. I am experienced in RVing in general but a DP was (is) a whole new ballgame. After about a half an hour of his showing me around the rig, and my asking him many of the questions on my list, I realized I had a long way to go before being ready to ink the deal.  So I asked him how much time he had.  He very calmly replied that he had all day. That reassuring, comfortable courtesy from him set a lot at ease with me.  My takeaway is ... if the seller is not willing to spend the time that it takes for you to look the rig over as much as needed for your comfort, you're looking at the wrong rig.

Yonder, I had much the same sort of experience, though I did commit to the deal earlier into the inspection, perhaps I should not have, but I had seen enough to know I was not going to walk away at the price I was paying even if issues came up.

Having said that, an important thing to remember is that a proper RV inspection, not counting the engine/mechanical/power train inspection should take 6-8 hours by a professional and cost something over $500-$700 depending on region.  Anything short of this and you are risking getting caught with unexpected major expenses, which if you had known before hand might made you walk away from the deal.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Dmac3003
Back
Top Bottom