School Shooting In Florida

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Shooter was a student that was expelled for taking guns to school.

I heard he was previously expelled, but didn't know it was for taking guns to school.

Oldgator73 said:
School shooting in Florida has claimed 17 so far. Seventeen kids that didn't go home after school. Shooter was a student that was expelled for taking guns to school.

It hasn't been posted as to why he was expelled.

Oldgator73 said:
I either read it online or heard it on the news. I'll do some further checking.

Cannot confirm what I said above. The sheriff is saying only that he was expelled for disciplinary reasons. I might have been quoting a student from the school.

I have several friends that live only a couple of miles from this school and they have friends that have children in there also. Just got a FB post of a students picture for me to repost, no one has seen him since the shooting but his phone locates him at the hospital....soooooo sad

catblaster said:
  I have several friends that live only a couple of miles from this school and they have friends that have children in there also. Just got a FB post of a students picture for me to repost, no one has seen him since the shooting but his phone locates him at the hospital....soooooo sad

I cannot fathom that situation. I hope he's okay.

From what I heard on the news, he had an issue with a previous girlfriend's new boyfriend. It was reported he was also abusive to the previous girlfriend. Also reported was they had banned him from carrying a backpack when he was at that school because of him carrying weapons.
It was so much simpler back when I went to school. Two guys get get in a fight over something, one wins, and the other takes a butt whoopin', then both go eat lunch together. DUN! Now they gotta go shoot people, most that aren't even involved in the situation. Such a shame. :( 

I took one thing from all the coverage of this event.  First it was a terrible tragedy without a doubt and I am sure the politicians will have it fixed in short order - NOT.  But I noticed something in all of the student interviews that is disturbing.  I would imagine that I saw at least 15 or 20 students interviewed on several of the channels covering the story.  Only one student was crying or even appeared disturbed at having to describe "dead bodies" or "a lot of blood".  They said it so matter of factly that I now wonder if the amount of violence in our real lives as well as in our entertainment devices has not hardened them to death right in front of them.  I distinctly remember Columbine when kids were all very disturbed at what happened but you have to remember that when Columbine happened there was no social media and the number of cell phones was pretty low.  Just a thought on how our culture has changed.  Is it for the better or worse  - that is the choice each of us has to make.  I know what I think.

Bill

Sadly these things are becoming more and more common, I mean that's what, the 2nd one THIS MONTH.. The more and more I turn on the news and there's another mass shooting. School or otherwise.

And so many of our leaders say: More guns, More guns" is the answer.  Give guns to crazy people is the answer, More guns.. Question is this INSANE or what. Especially giving guns to the INSANE.. now more gun locks may be the aswer. More but reasonable restrictions  liker no guns fort CONVICTED criminals and those mentally incompetent and in homes with children.  Make sure they are properly secured.

The media has made a hero out of this kid, in the mind of any wacko who may be so inclined to follow in his footsteps.

It's way past time to dial back the sensationalism of the 24 hour news cycle.

HappyWanderer said:
It's way past time to dial back the sensationalism of the 24 hour news cycle.

Yup, yet here's a discussion of school shootings on the RV Forum, seems there's no place to hide  :(

I want to know why someone didn't shot him. Oh yea, they aren't allowed. He's a nut. Known to the FBI for 9 months that he wanted to do this. So where's the failure? 911 sure doesn't help. They know where the gun free zones are and they will continue to operate in them.

Everyone should be protected from these nuts or be able to protect themselves. No way is society ready to protect us from them.

First, this is on an RV forum because the administrators chose to have spot for non RV related topics. This falls into that category. Like it has been said many times, if you don't like the subject matter you don't have read it.
How do we stop these shootings? The Right and the NRA say we need more guns. Everybody needs to be armed. The Left says we need less guns, more regulation or no guns at all. All our government can do is offer "Thoughts and Prayers"and tell us every time a shooting occurs "Now is not the time to discuss gun regulation."

The below link is a post from our administrator. I believe it's time to tone it down a little before it gets out of hand. If it continues, it will get locked.

http://www.rvforum.net/SMF_forum/index.php/topic,111010.msg1001091.html#msg1001091

Oldgator73 said:
First, this is on an RV forum because the administrators chose to have spot for non RV related topics. This falls into that category. Like it has been said many times, if you don't like the subject matter you don't have read it.
How do we stop these shootings? The Right and the NRA say we need more guns. Everybody needs to be armed. The Left says we need less guns, more regulation or no guns at all. All our government can do is offer "Thoughts and Prayers"and tell us every time a shooting occurs "Now is not the time to discuss gun regulation."
No need to turn into a political diatribe.  The politicians will do that themselves.  I have NEVER seen a statement that says we need more guns - there seem to be plenty for the criminals and the good guys but, in this case, the person had been identified as a semi-nut but nothing was done.  Oh sure the FBI was notified but if you took everyone off the streets that they were notified about, it would be a lonesome place.    But I do support the same thing as we encourage for terrorists - if you see it, report it.  If the FBI had received numerous reports from his classmates and all those who now claim to have predicted he would be the next school shooter, maybe, just maybe something could have been done to prevent the tragedy.  Yet, numerous of his peers chose to just ignore his actions.  Between reporting suspicious activity and identifying mental cases we may, only maybe, able to reduce the likelihood of such occurrences.  Next comes the question of how and where did he obtain this gun.  It may seem silly but thankfully, it was a semi-automatic without a bump stock or else the toll would have been higher.  The fact that he wore a gas mask and pulled the fire alarm shows that it was a carefully planned operation and not just some nut who decided to kill on a whim.  Too bad he was too much of a coward to take himself out with his victims.

Bill

It has now come out that the Broward County Sheriff wants to detain people over Social Media postings. It's all good to take a right away from someone else, but frankly my initial thought was "Not me".

This debate over violence will continue until we begin to instill in our youth a respect for life. Media promotes extreme violence, and we're surprised when a kid acts in that Hollywood movie manner.

I for one refuse to be entertained by modern media, I limit my news watching, and I spend my time in pursuit of happy stuff, like Rving, Jeeping, off-road camping, and such.

John Beard said:
It has now come out that the Broward County Sheriff wants to detain people over Social Media postings. It's all good to take a right away from someone else, but frankly my initial thought was "Not me".

This debate over violence will continue until we begin to instill in our youth a respect for life. Media promotes extreme violence, and we're surprised when a kid acts in that Hollywood movie manner.

I for one refuse to be entertained by modern media, I limit my news watching, and I spend my time in pursuit of happy stuff, like Rving, Jeeping, off-road camping, and such.

That's a good idea John. But for some 24 hour cable news and social media are an addiction. I'm at John's Hopkins in Baltimore waiting for my wife to get out of surgery. Since I got almost everyone here has been buried in their phones. I have a hardcover book and only check my iPad every hour or so.

I'll bet every one of theses kids is an expert at playing "Call Of Duty" or "Grand Theft Auto".

IMO...Those games are desensitizing kids to gun violence and make a game out of mass murder,  and then kids use social media banter to fester up their angers.

There are already so many millions of guns out there in the world,  any criminal, terrorist or 19 year old kid can easily buy a weapon on Craig's List or the dark web,  or just go to a ghetto and buy one on a street corner. 

It's too late for more gun buying or ownership laws,    The old saying if you outlaw guns, only outlaws will have guns is true.
  Look at the the effect of the 18th amendment (outlawing booze), all it did is make the Kennedy's and other outlaw bootleggers wealthy,  it didn't stop anything.

in every mass shooting one thing you need to think about...      When seconds count,... the police are only minutes away.

Teachers are the guardians of our children,  I think it's time to arm our teachers.

The shooter in this incident was using a legally purchased AR-15 and had passed a standard background check. Regarding an earlier post about interviewed kids not crying, I guess you're not seeing the same interviews we've been seeing on local TV here in Florida. Yes, some kids do appear to have the presence of mind to remain calm in the face of tragedy, as do some adults, but we've also seen many that were in tears and/or trembling as they talk about the event. In other words, just about the same reactions we see from adults in similar circumstances. Everyone handles it in their own way...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeep3501
Back
Top Bottom