Dolly towing a GLA 250

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Booga

Anyone have any info on the capability of dolly towing a Benz GLA 250? It is frt wheel drive, however has auto emergency brake. I will stop by the dealer to ask service tomorrow if there is a way to disable the brake. But then there maybe a problem with running the battery down if the key must be left on. A disconnect switch would probably engage the emergency brake, Catch 22. Also, I would need the steering NOT to lock out. Any help from someone that has done would be appreciated.

Sorry - I've not run across anybody dolly towing a front drive Mercedes before.  Usually leaving the ignition in ACC is enough to unlock the steering (if it has a lock), but that can bring other problems like you said.

Are you referring to automatic parking brake? That looks to be a real problem for towing, but there must be a way to handle it for tow truck emergencies. Does the owner manual have any instructions for that?

Are you sure the steering wheel locks?  Many newer vehicles use other (electronic) means of theft prevention and the steering wheel does not lock with the key.

I was actually saying that the steering wheel does not seem to lock. Not sure what would happen once I placed a battery disconnect. Yes, parking brake is the issue. I will check with Mercedes to make sure, I just rather have the input from RV'ers with experience. Car dealers will tell you anything they think you may want to hear.

Yeah, Remco would have to say that.  Without some modification, the rear wheels are going to be locked (parking brake applied) as soon as the ignition is turned off.  But there may be a work-around for that.

Back
Top Bottom