March 9 concert sold out

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tom

Administrator
Our March 7 9 ukulele concert is a sellout, with more folks knocking on the door.

Last evening we had close to 60 folks turn up for uke practice, and we're starting to exceed the limit of our practice room; We'll probably move to their 'ballroom' (the venue for our concert) in the new year.

We'll have >50 performers on show night.

Apologies for the images, they came from the security cameras.

Attachments

• Group1.jpg
    Group1.jpg
    77.8 KB · Views: 42
  • Group2.jpg
    Group2.jpg
    62.8 KB · Views: 28
Interesting choices by the Music Committee. Genres include pop, ragtime, rock, classic, folk, ballad, patriotic and, of course, Hawaiian. The program includes a couple of my arrangements  :-[

Here's a pic I took at the first Delta Strummers practice I attended (as a guest) in 2011. We've grown since then!

Attachments

• Practice.jpg
    Practice.jpg
    273.1 KB · Views: 26
Aye Jackie, it keeps us old fartes entertained.

Looks like we'll have 56 performers, including one guest playing bass. We have a "full dress rehearsal" next Tuesday at the concert venue.

LOL Jackie. The group to be in competition with would be the Ukulele Orchestra of Great Britain. Their rendition of The Good, The Bad And The ugly is just one of many of their great performances. Unfortutantely, for most of us, that will have to be in another life.

Last Tuesday was the 'dress rehearsal' for our March 9 concert, although there was no special attire required. We have some rough edges that will be fixed at tomorrow's practice.

I was taking video remotely using an app on my cell phone and my Panasonic G7 on a tripod in the back of the room. I've uploaded unedited videos to YouTube. Some caveats:

Lighting conditions weren't optimal, and I didn't have a video light with me; I made a guess at how much to increase the ISO on the camera, and it wasn't the best choice of setting (I was trying to minimize noise). My 14-140 lens didn't catch everyone (we lost the 'stage right' end). The battery in my phone died before the last two numbers, and I chose not to jump up and manually reset the camera.

The recorded audio (singing) was a bit 'mushy', even with my new stereo mic. Having talked with our MD, it appears that there were possible contributions to this from our seating without risers.

We'll hopefully get things fixed for the March 9 concert (we have an independent videographer set up).

The playlist is at: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD6vWY0B2eU2ZCpVAQZrihydCLnqLogr0

The folks nearest the camera were 'critics' recruited for the evening.

Aye Jackie, quite a bit of music arranging, and everyone practices hard while still having fun.

Last evening's concert appeared to be well received by the sold-out audience. Many folks were singing along and tapping their feet. I don't know the final count of players, but 54 were scheduled to perform, and we had a couple of last minute dropouts due to illness.

A friend who previously had a wedding videography business kindly agreed to take video. The sample of results I saw afterwards were quite good, thanks partly to his videography experience and party to his low-light camera. Patiently awaiting the final/edited video.

During the intermission, someone thanked me for the information we make available here on The RV Forum.

A few of us gathered after the concert at our MD's home to chit chat, talk music, and music on future trips on the road (we're all RVers). Chris and I barely made it home before Cinderella turned into a pumpkin.

Attached are a couple of pages from the 12-page concert program. Eagerly awaiting the video so we can self-critique and share with non-attendees.

Attachments

• SSIV_program1.jpg
    SSIV_program1.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 6
  • SSIV_program2.jpg
    SSIV_program2.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 7
Proud that my arrangement of Kainoa was in the program.

[quote author=Tom]Eagerly awaiting the video ...[/quote]

The videographer used a low-light camera that took pretty good video. When he told me he hadn't used the camera for 5 years, it didn't occur to me that it would have a firewire output. Bottom line, we couldn't directly import his video because today's computers don't have firewire ports. Our MD took an AVI output and converted it, but the resulting audio was poor. A separate audio tool fixed the audio, which could then be copied back to the video editing software.

I've uploaded the first 6 songs to YouTube, with the remainder to follow: 
Playlist: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD6vWY0B2eU0km58KFiQUe5JTOUmjnoWz

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom