2000 Watt element for electric water heater

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an RV or an interest in RVing!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rene T

Site Team
I happened to be at a Ace Hardware today and noticed that they sell elements for water heaters. One was 1400 Watt, 120 Volt AC and the other was 2000 Watt, 120 Volt AC. Is it better off to use a 2000 watt instead of the 1400 Watt? I'm thinking that it will heat the water faster but it may limit us as to how many appliances we can run at the same time. Any input anyone?

Yes, a 2000 watt element will heat the water somewhat faster, but at the cost of pulling another ~5 amps over the 1400 watt unit. At 16.6 amps, you would also want to make sure the wiring is up to it. 12ga wire on a 20 amp breaker if it's the only draw on that circuit.

Well here are the talking points

The more watts the faster the water heater will recover... BUT the more AMPS the element will draw on your electrical system..  1500 watts is about 12.5 watts. 2,000 would be about 16 2/3 amp over half your power on a 30 amp site, Does not leave much.

I use a 1500 watt 240 volt element, on 120 volts this is about 375 watts. I am on a 30 amp site, I anticipate no problems requriing I go out and reset the breaker sine the water heater is only drawing about 3 1/8 amps.. Sure it takes a bit longer for water to heat, but Time If it means I don't have to go out in the rain and play reset the breaker.

I would want to know what is in your water heater now?

Is it not heating or recovering as fast as you would like it to?
Did it heat faster when new and now no so much?

And when comparing the heating elements are they both the same size and both able
to be put in either a 6 gallon or 10 gallon tank?

And is there a thermostat in all water heaters so that they only get so hot?
Meaning that the 2000 watt unit will not heat the water to a higher temp vs. the 1400 watt one, but only quicker?
OR will the 2000 watt actually heat to a higher temp, therefore you use less hot water when taking a shower
because your mixing in more cold to offset the higher temp water you have?

Mine is working just fine. I just happened to be at the store walking around and noticed them. The 2000 looks identical to the 1400.  I'm just asking the question for future reference or if someone else may need one. 

Is there a thermostat....? Gary was half right. Depending on the mode there are either TWO or FOUR

The primary T-Stat and the Emergency Cut out...  and on some models one of each for GAS and ELECTRIC.

Rene T said:
Mine is working just fine. I just happened to be at the store walking around and noticed them. The 2000 looks identical to the 1400.  I'm just asking the question for future reference or if someone else may need one.

Just remember the part about the 2000 Watt heater element drawing additional current and your existing wiring may not be the correct size (gauge) for that much current draw.

xrated said:
Just remember the part about the 2000 Watt heater element drawing additional current and your existing wiring may not be the correct size (gauge) for that much current draw.

Ya, Dutch already brought that up.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
freetoroam
Back
Top Bottom